» This Story:Read +| Comments

Ray Whitney, Carolina Hurricanes top Washington Capitals in overtime, 4-3

Discussion Policy
Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 19, 2010

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Eric Fehr scored with 9.5 seconds remaining in regulation, and in the process, reached the 20-goal plateau for the first time in his career. But instead of celebrating his milestone in the visitors' dressing room at RBC Center, the Washington Capitals' winger and his teammates were left lamenting one they let slip from their grasp.

This Story

Ray Whitney capitalized on a defensive mix-up late in overtime, then blasted a shot through Semyon Varlamov to lift the Carolina Hurricanes to a 4-3 victory and avenge an overtime defeat by the same score eight days earlier in Washington.

"We got a point where we should have gotten two [points]," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "There were a lot of guys tonight who didn't do the right thing. I don't know what happened in the third period. They started to feel it, and when you leave a team around long enough, they said, 'Well, we've got an opportunity here.' "

And the Hurricanes seized it -- with plenty of help from the visitors.

The Capitals took a 2-1 lead into the third period thanks to a pair of goals by former Hurricanes defenseman Joe Corvo, who made his return to Raleigh a memorable one. But Hurricanes rookie Brett Carson knotted the game at 2 when he blasted a point shot over Varlamov's blocker. The goal capped a sloppy sequence deep in Washington's end that began when Varlamov dropped a rebound.

With about 2 minutes 30 seconds remaining in regulation, Tomas Fleischmann failed to fire a rolling puck past Carolina rookie goalie Justin Peters.

"I just missed the puck," Fleischmann said. "I tried to give it everything I could, but I couldn't hit it."

One minute later, the Hurricanes made the Capitals pay for that missed opportunity when Chad LaRose scored a four-on-four breakaway to put the Hurricanes ahead, 3-2, with 1:35 left in regulation.

That's just about the time things got really interesting.

With Varlamov on the bench in favor of an extra attacker, Fehr took a nifty pass from Brendan Morrison in the slot and beat Peters to knot the game at 3 and force overtime. Moments later, Carolina fans who already had left their seats began streaming back down the aisles.

"At the time it was a pretty big goal," Fehr said. "Unfortunately, it didn't help us get the win."

It did, however, help Washington take back the momentum. But the Capitals mustered only one shot on goal in the extra session and Whitney made the most of his only opportunity. After taking a pass from Eric Staal in the corner, the shifty veteran circled while looking to pass. But when a seam opened up, he stepped between the circles and fired a shot off Varlamov's arm and into the net with 57.3 seconds left.

CONTINUED     1        >

» This Story:Read +| Comments

More in the Sports Section


Stadium Guide

Take an interactive tour of the district's newest stadium, Nationals Park.

Talking Points

Talking Points

Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon discuss the hot topics in sports.


D.C. Sports Bog

Dan Steinberg gives you an inside look at all of your favorite local teams.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company