Muslim soldier: Army has not addressed harassment complaints

The path of a Muslim soldier in this country's Army is often not an easy one, especially not after the Fort Hood incident which killed 13 and injured 30, on Nov. 5, 2009.
By William Wan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 17, 2010; 11:54 AM

Two months after a Muslim soldier complained to the Pentagon about being harassed in the wake of the Fort Hood shootings, Spec. Zachari Klawonn said the Army has not followed through on its promises to address problems at the country's largest military base.

Commanders at Fort Hood, Tex., moved Klawonn, 20, off post for his safety in March after a threatening note with religious slurs was left at his barracks door. But then the military failed to provide him the standard stipend for off-post housing, Klawonn said. In recent weeks, he's had to take out two loans, borrow an additional $300 from a nonprofit group and pawn his possessions to pay the bills.

Klawonn said he asked for the housing allowance repeatedly, making his appeals up the chain of command. Last week, after a reporter asked about the housing allowance, Klawonn said he was called by his commanders and told he would begin receiving his stipend June 1.

"No one's taking this seriously. These are serious issues about safety, equality and religious harassment, and it's simply not a priority here," said Klawonn, who has retained an attorney through the Military Religious Freedom Foundation to prepare a lawsuit against the military.

Post commanders rebutted his allegations and said they have made every effort to address the harassment he has experienced. "This base takes the concern of its Muslim soldiers and all its soldiers very seriously," said post spokesman Christopher Haug. "His commanders are really trying to help him."

During his two years in the military, Klawonn said he has filed more than 20 complaints of harassment for being Muslim. Many of the instances have occurred at Fort Hood and were confirmed by fellow soldiers, including times when other soldiers jeered him and used religious slurs, when his Koran was torn up and when another threatening note was left on his truck. Klawonn said the harassment escalated after Maj. Nidal M. Hasan, a Muslim psychiatrist he'd never met, was charged with killing 13 people and injuring more than 30 during a massacre last November.

After Klawonn's experiences were documented in The Washington Post, Fort Hood commanders said they were working on several initiatives. They promised to improve cultural training for soldiers, organize a meeting for Fort Hood's 180 Muslim soldiers and restart Islamic prayers on Friday so Muslims would have somewhere on the post to worship.

But nothing has changed, Klawonn said.

The post-wide meeting was supposed to be led by Louay Safi, a scholar and advocate for Arab and Muslim rights, he said, but Safi never showed up, and the meeting was delayed. When Fort Hood's head chaplain, Col. Frank Jackson, eventually held the meeting, most Muslim soldiers were not notified directly, and only 13 showed up, Fort Hood officials confirmed.

At the conclusion of the meeting, the chaplain told Klawonn he was in charge of finding a solution for the post, Klawonn said.

"I'm a low-ranking specialist with no authority, a full-time job on top of physical training and all the other duties," Klawonn said. "How is telling me to talk to other Muslims in my spare time a base-wide solution?"

Fort Hood officials said commanders never promised that Safi would be brought in for a meeting. Officials also disputed that Klawonn was put in charge of coordinating a post-wide plan for helping Muslim soldiers. They said Klawonn may have gotten that impression because the chaplain asked for volunteers to spearhead the issue, and only Klawonn raised his hand. The chaplain has since found a few volunteers to help, Haug said.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2010 The Washington Post Company