» This Story:Read +| Comments

No. 16 Georgetown survives in regulation then cruises past No. 9 Missouri in overtime, 111-102

Missouri guard Marcus Denmon (12) and Georgetown forward Nate Lubick (34) collide as they chase a loose ball during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010 in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)
Missouri guard Marcus Denmon (12) and Georgetown forward Nate Lubick (34) collide as they chase a loose ball during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2010 in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel) (Charlie Riedel - AP)
  Enlarge Photo    

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Discussion Policy
Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 1, 2010; 6:36 AM

KANSAS CITY, MO. - Chris Wright sank a three-pointer as time expired in regulation to force Missouri to overtime. Then Jason Clark made sure the Tigers and their raucous, gold-and-black-clad supporters went home disappointed.

This Story

Clark scored three times from behind the arc in the extra session, and 16th-ranked Georgetown pulled away for a 111-102 victory that preserved the Hoyas' unblemished record and handed the ninth-ranked Tigers their first defeat Tuesday before 14,647 at Sprint Center.

Georgetown Coach John Thompson III brought his team halfway across the country seeking to test his players mentally, physically and emotionally against a top opponent in a hostile environment. Well, he certainly got what he was looking for.

"We accomplished all of that," he said. "This was a very good win against a very good team that you had to be prepared for, and attentive to, for 40, well, 45 minutes."

Austin Freeman scored a game-high 31 points, including four in overtime, and Wright finished with 21 points and 10 assists. But it was Clark and his career-high 26 points that put the Tigers (5-1) away.

Clark, who finished with 26 points, broke open a tie game at 3 minutes 5 seconds of overtime, shooting a three-pointer to put the Hoyas (7-0) ahead 101-98. After a Missouri (5-1) turnover, the smooth-shooting junior guard knocked down another three-pointer 51 seconds later to extend the visitors' lead to 104-98.

And Clark wasn't done. After a dunk by Missouri's Kim English at the other end reignited the raucous crowd, Clark coolly nailed a third three-pointer with 1:18 left in the extra session.

"The guys beside me kept telling me to keep shooting," said Clark, who entered overtime 1 for 6 from three-point range. "They had confidence in me, so I kept shooting."

The Hoyas led by as many as 18 points in the first half of the game. But turnovers coupled with poor shot selection allowed the Tigers to make a 20-10 run midway through the second half. The run culminated with a three-pointer by Marcus Denmon (team-high 27 points) that gave the Tigers their first lead of the game, 77-75.

The score stayed tight until the final minutes of regulation, when the Tigers opened a 93-89 lead on a pair of free throws by Michael Dixon that appeared to put Missouri in control. But the Tigers missed three of their next four free throws, while at the other end, Wright knocked down a pair of free throws and then made the three-pointer he called the biggest shot of his career.

"I felt like whoever took the shot was going to make it," said Wright, who finished with 21 points and 10 assists and credited Clark for chasing down an offensive rebound and getting the ball to him at the top of the arc as the clock wound down. "As soon as it left my hand, I felt like it was going in."

Although the game technically was played on a neutral floor, one look into the stands of this gleaming, three-year-old arena in downtown Kansas City, two hours from Missouri's campus, suggested otherwise. An almost exclusively black-and-gold-clad crowd of 14,647 packed the stands. At times, their cheering was so loud it drowned out the referees' whistle.

CONTINUED     1        >

» This Story:Read +| Comments

More in the Sports Section


Terrapins Insider

Get the latest updates on Maryland basketball and football.

Recruiting Insider

Recruiting Insider

Josh Barr keeps you in the loop on the local and national prep talent.


D.C. Sports Bog

Dan Steinberg gives you an inside look at all of your favorite local teams.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile