» This Story:Read +| Comments
Facebook Twitter Your Phone Friendfeed
Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

Trial of US contractor ends in Cuba, no verdict

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Discussion Policy
Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.
The Associated Press
Saturday, March 5, 2011; 9:40 PM

HAVANA -- The trial of a U.S. government contractor facing up to 20 years in jail on charges he sought to undermine Cuba's government wrapped up Saturday after both sides gave closing arguments, but with no indication of when a verdict might come.

This Story

A statement by the Cuban government Saturday night said that during the trial Gross accepted some responsibility but added that he had been "used" and blamed the company that sent him to the island.

The fate of Alan Gross, a 61-year-old Maryland native detained for more than a year since being caught bringing communications equipment into the communist-run island, was in the hands of a five-judge panel.

Gloria Berbena, a spokeswoman for the U.S. diplomatic mission on the island, reiterated after the government statement was released that no verdict had been announced. She said Gross' Cuban lawyer would be notified when a verdict was reached.

Gross' American lawyer, Peter J. Kahn, issued a short statement earlier, saying only that the trial had ended and that "the family remains hopeful that Alan will be home soon."

Cuban government officials confirmed to The Associated Press that no verdict had been reached despite some reports saying a ruling had been issued. The officials insisted on speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

Gross was working for Development Alternatives Inc. as part of a USAID-backed "democracy building" program when he was arrested in December 2009. He has been held at Havana's maximum-security Villa Marista jail ever since - most of that time without charge.

His detention has worsened relations between Cuba and Washington, with U.S. officials making clear that no meaningful rapprochment is possible while Gross is in jail.

Cuba says USAID programs like the one Gross was working on are aimed at overthrowing the government of President Raul Castro. U.S. officials and Gross' family insist he was trying to provide Internet service to the island's Jewish community and has done nothing wrong.

According to the government statement read on state television's main news broadcast, Gross "accused DAI of having put him in danger and leading to his current situation, to ruin the life and well-being of his family."

The statement said the judges heard from 10 witnesses and nine experts and were presented with documentary and physical evidence during the two-day trial, which was closed to foreign journalists.

Should Gross be convicted, efforts would immediately turn to getting him released through a court order or executive pardon, possibly on humanitarian grounds. His wife and U.S. officials say Gross has lost more than 90 pounds while in jail, and note that his 26-year-old daughter and 88-year-old mother are both suffering from cancer.

CONTINUED     1        >

» This Story:Read +| Comments

More World Coverage

Foreign Policy

Partner Site

Your portal to global politics, economics and ideas.


Connect Online

Share and comment on Post world news on Facebook and Twitter.

day in photos

Day in Photos

Today's events from around the world, captured in photographs.

© 2011 The Associated Press

Network News

X My Profile