1. Cut down on clutter as much as possible.
2. Reuse existing furniture to save money and be "green."
3. Organize the space to create a TV area and a reading area.
4. Use earth tones to make the room cozier.
5. Select bold artwork for a focal point above the fireplace.
Tell us about your design challenge: Find out how
Send photos, room dimensions and contact information.
Home Section, The Washington Post
1150 15 St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20071
A Chevy Chase couple would like to make their 12-by-30-foot living room more welcoming.
A new layout will open the space, and with a fresh color palette, it will feel more inviting.
ILLUSTRATION: Julius Goyanko - For The Washington Post; PHOTOS: Courtesy; EDITED BY: Kathleen Hom - The Washington Post; WEB PRODUCER: Janet Bennett Kelly - washingtonpost.com; INTERACTIVE: washingtonpost.com
© 2009 The Washington Post Company