• Replace the bulky built-in vanity with a lighter vanity on legs.
• A black-and-white color scheme will create the illusion of more space.
• Draw the eye to the window by painting the sash a darker color.
• Crown molding will make the space feel grander and more open.
• Large artwork will add visual interest to the long wall.
Tell us about your design challenge: Find out how
Send photos, room dimensions and contact information.
Home Section, The Washington Post
1150 15 St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20071
An Alexandria homeowner would like to remake her 12-by-5-foot full bath, which she calls "the ultimate 1970s galley bathroom."
Building on a classic foundation with a few modern flourishes, use design tricks to make the bathroom feel more spacious.
ILLUSTRATION: Julius Goyanko - For The Washington Post; PHOTOS: Courtesy; EDITED BY: Kathleen Hom - The Washington Post; WEB PRODUCER: Janet Bennett Kelly - washingtonpost.com; INTERACTIVE: washingtonpost.com
© 2009 The Washington Post Company