• Paint walls tan (Harmony) and the bricks a soft white (Mascarpone). Both Benjamin Moore AF.
• Create a seating area with a sectional and an upholstered chair.
• Define the space with a rug.
• Remove the trim from the sides of the fireplace.
• Install crown molding around the room.
• Place cabinets on both sides of the fireplace for storage, display and the TV.
• Hang a shelf over the fireplace for a mantel.
• Replace the brass surround with a decorative screen.
• Dress the windows with curtain panels for privacy and warmth.
• Add a bookshelf for storing books and displaying accessories.
Tell us about your design challenge: Find out how
Send photos, room dimensions and contact information. E-mail: email@example.com Write:
Home Section, The Washington Post
1150 15 St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20071
Hannie and Alonso Gonzalez would like to refurnish the 13-by-20-foot family room in their Fairfax Station home. The TV needs to stay, but everything else can be replaced.
Designers Denise Standen and Anne Quinn used warm colors and a new floor plan to create a comfortable gathering space for family and friends.