Home Page, Site Index, Search, Help

Related Items
Go to the main article

Go to Managing Your

Go to Business

Sources used to prepare this article include:

Work Study and National Service

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides on- and off-campus jobs for students with financial need, letting them earn money to pay education expenses. The program encourages community service and work related to the chosen course of study. The FWS salary will be at least the federal minimum wage but may be higher, depending on the type of work and the skills required.

The AmeriCorps program provides full-time educational awards in return for community service. You can work before, during or after college and can use the funds to either pay present educational expenses or repay federal student loans. One year of full-time service (from 10 to 12 months), earns members an education voucher for $4,725. You also can get more information on this program by calling 1-800-942-2677 or writing to The Corporation for National and Community Service, 1201 New York Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20525.

© Copyright 1996 The Washington Post Company

Back to the top

Home Page, Site Index, Search, Help