The Gulf Coast Oil Spill
Recovering from the oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico
BP has agreed to sell its share of an Argentina-based oil and gas company for $7.06 billion in cash, bringing to about $21 billion its total sales of assets to help cover costs stemming from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. | Full article »
Oil companies stress one another's failures.
- Federal agencies, oil companies were unprepared for cleanup(Nov. 22)
- Kenneth Feinberg's plan to settle oil-spill claims met with opposition(Nov. 22)
- 'Lack of operating discipline' contributed to BP spill, report says(Nov. 17)
- 'Culture of complacency' at BP set stage for oil spill, commission chief says(Nov. 9)
- Money concerns didn't drive Deepwater Horizon decisions, panel says(Nov. 8)
- Six months after the spill, BP's money is changing the gulf as much as its oil(Oct. 20)
- Back in business: US lifts deep water drilling ban (Oct. 13)
- Oil spill hearings focus on who was in charge after the blast (Oct. 5)
- Oil spill commission questions BP's response planr (Sep. 14)
- New rules slow Gulf drilling pace in shallow water (Sep. 14)
- Ill. oil pipeline leak stopped; cleanup under way (Sep. 13)
- Obama wants to double offshore oil inspection fees (Sep. 13)
- Where's the oil? On the Gulf floor, scientists say (Sep. 13)
Explore all of our oil spill graphics to track the spill, see its effects, and learn its possible solutions.
- How the 'static kill' should work
- Where some of the oil went
- Grasses bind a marsh together Rescue patrols: Finding life in the oil
- Poll: The glum gulf
- Graphic: Despite months of activity, the spill continues
- Relief in the gulf
- One bird's odyssey through the oil
- Cleaning up the BP spill
- Oil spill map: What's at stake?
- What oil does to a salt marsh
- The major forms oil takes on upon water contact
- How an oil burn works
- Capping the well
- Dispersing the oil
- Potential ways to stop the leak
- Q&A: Will the cap hold?
- Q&A: Gulf Coast reacts to Obama speech and BP
- Q&A: Philippe Cousteau on Gulf oil spill
- Q&A: Will the spill stop on its own?
- Debate: How will the oil spill affect America's energy future?
- Q&A: Gulf oil spill update
- Q&A: Bill Nye discusses top kill
- Q&A: Questions on new oil industry regulations
- Q&A: Oil spill spreads to shore
- Debate: How will coal, oil disasters affect the climate bill?
- Debate: What does the spill mean for offshore drilling?
The latest reports, data and opinions that are shaping the world's climate policy.