Test Your Euro Smarts
1. What is the euro?
A. A discotheque
2. What were some of the early names for the euro?
3. Who first suggested the idea single currency for Europe?
4. Of the 15 European Union countries, which three chose not to participate in the euro?
B. Sweden, Denmark, France
C. Spain, Italy, Luxembourg
D. None of the above
5. Of the following countries, which tried but did not qualify for the euro?
6. What is the establishment that will set the monetary policy for the euro?
7. Where will the establishment be located?
8. What is the name of the euro's founding document?
B. Lichtenstein Treaty
C. The Treaty of Waitangi
D. The Treaty of Amsterdam
9. Europe has had currency unions and currency systems before, starting with the Roman Empire. Another failed system was the:
B. The Monetary Union
C. The Scandinavian Monetary Union
D. The International Monetary System
10. True or False: The U.S. economy is larger than that of all the European Union countries combined.
11. France was the first of the 11 participating countries to:
B. Submit a design for the new money
C. Produce euro coins
D. Reject the idea of a single currency
© Copyright 1998 The Washington Post Company