The Washington Post
Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar

Partners:
  Md. Bridge Collapse Kills Driver

Baltimore, TWP
This footbridge across the Baltimore Beltway collapsed during the afternoon rush hour Tuesday. (Larry Morris — The Washington Post)
By Alan Sipress and Raja Mishra
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, June 9, 1999; Page A1

ARBUTUS, Md., June 8 A footbridge over the Baltimore Beltway collapsed today onto rush-hour traffic, crushing the driver of a sport-utility vehicle and disrupting the evening commute for thousands of motorists.

Six people were injured, three critically, when the concrete bridge tumbled onto the four-lane stretch of the Beltway southwest of Baltimore after a backhoe mounted on a passing tractor-trailer clipped the bottom of the structure shortly before 5 p.m.

Witnesses said they heard the crunch of metal striking concrete followed by a loud boom. Houses tucked amid trees behind the highway noise walls shuddered as the span collapsed in a V, spewing debris across the inner loop of Interstate 695 just northwest of the interchanges with Interstate 95 and Route 1.

The bridge plummeted onto the front of a blue Dodge Durango traveling in one of the left-hand lanes, crushing the hood to the pavement and killing the unidentified driver instantly. Amid the sharp squealing of brakes, two cars traveling in the slow lanes smashed into the structure, witnesses said.

"I saw a large cloud of dust," said Dave Atkins, 44, of Arbutus, who was driving along the Beltway. "People were jumping out of their cars. I did the same. I couldn't believe this bridge was lying on the Beltway."

Before rescue crews arrived at the scene, several people tried to free the victims from their crippled vehicles, using crowbars and pickaxes to pry the doors open, Atkins said.

After emergency personnel arrived, three women were evacuated by ambulance and a pair of helicopters to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where their injuries were not considered life-threatening. Those victims were initially described as a 28-year-old with fractures, a 68-year-old with multiple injuries and a 51-year-old with facial injuries and possible fractures. Three others suffered minor injuries when they were struck by flying debris but they declined medical treatment, authorities said.

The collapse severed one of Baltimore's prime commuting routes, the 33-mile Beltway built in 1962. Traffic in both directions was rerouted as police carried out an emergency detour plan. But state police said the effect was not nearly as severe as the disruption last week of rush hour on the Capital Beltway, after a truck hauling explosive powder crashed in the Springfield interchange, paralyzing travel in both Virginia and Maryland.

"Traffic wasn't all that bad considering how serious the accident was," state police spokesman Pete Piringer said. Piringer said the backhoe had been improperly loaded on a flatbed truck that had picked up the piece of construction equipment at Wagner's Point, in Baltimore, for shipment to London. He said the truck driver, who was not immediately identified, told authorities that he did not realize the backhoe had clipped the pedestrian bridge or that it had collapsed.

"He knows that he loaded it improperly now. He did not know that, however, until he hit the Westland bridge," Piringer said tonight.

No one was on the pedestrian bridge when it collapsed. It has been closed since November 1996 because of community complaints about vandalism and crime on the span, and it was to have been demolished as part of planned Beltway widening, according to state officials. But State Highway Administrator Parker Williams said the structure, built in 1957, was sound and had last passed inspection early in May.

"We have had vehicles that have hit bridges before, but nothing this catastrophic," Williams said. He said the clearance for the bridge was 16 feet, considerably higher than the standard of 13 feet 8 inches.

Piringer noted that the truck already had passed under other bridges on its way from Wagner's Point.

State engineers were dispatched to the scene to examine the remaining span of the bridge over the outer loop, which was rudely converted to a walkway into thin air when the portion over the inner loop was ripped away. They also were inspecting the Westland Boulevard bridge, about 500 feet away. Piringer said charges against the truck driver "are pending in consultation with the state's attorney's office."

The National Transportation Safety Board also sent a representative to the scene. The pace of the investigations could determine how quickly the rubble can be cleared from the highway and the lanes reopened. The reinforced concrete design of the overpass also may hinder efforts to remove it in time for the Wednesday morning rush hour.

"We are talking tons of concrete. The removal process is going to be very serious and will take us well into the morning hours," said Capt. Michael Robinson, of the Baltimore County fire department.

In 1989, a vehicular overpass being built at Route 198 over the Baltimore-Washington Parkway near Laurel collapsed during rush hour, injuring 14 motorists and construction workers. That incident was blamed by federal officials on apparently faulty scaffolding used to support the uncompleted span.

Staff writers Linda Perlstein, Robert E. Pierre and Fern Shen and research editor Margot Williams contributed to this report.

© Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company

Back to the top

Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar