The Washington Post
Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar

Related Items
On Our Site
  • Aron's Career
  • Main Aron Page
  •   GOP Rivals Rap Brock Over Letter

    By Charles Babington
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, August 30, 1994; Page B06

    Two Republican U.S. Senate candidates in Maryland are attacking front-runner William E. Brock III because of a harshly worded letter written by a Brock supporter.

    Robert C. Schaeffer, head of the Anne Arundel Taxpayers Association, sent a letter urging fellow county Republicans to support Brock, a former senator from Tennessee.

    The letter said Anne Arundel County has enough potential Republican votes "to counter the automatic opposition vote of the underclass in Baltimore and the D.C. suburbs" in the November general election. Schaeffer also said he would give political help only to those who actively support Brock.

    GOP candidate Ruthann Aron, of Potomac, sent a letter to Brock last week saying: "I am shocked and disgusted by the overtly racist remarks" in Schaeffer's letter. "Racism and extortion have no place in American politics. ... These are the same campaign tactics you used in Tennessee, but Maryland is not Tennessee, as you are about to learn."

    A third Republican candidate, Del. C. Ronald Franks (Eastern Shore), joined the fray Friday. He issued a news release denouncing the "racial overtones" of Schaeffer's letter and calling on Brock to "issue an immediate condemnation."

    Brock campaign spokeswoman Erin O'Brien said Brock had nothing to do with the letter, which she said contained "an unfortunate use of language." She said Brock would not disavow the letter or be drawn into an exchange with Aron and Franks.

    She said Aron, who is second to Brock in fund-raising and polls, "is grabbing at straws for anything that will get her free media."

    The Republicans are competing for the Sept. 13 nomination to challenge Sen. Paul S. Sarbanes, who faces only token opposition in the Democratic primary.

    Rifle Raffle Brings Bounty

    To Congress, the Colt AR-15 is so dangerous a weapon that its future sale will be banned under the recently enacted crime bill. But to Maryland Del. C. Ronald Franks, a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, the assault rifle has proved a little gold mine.

    Franks's campaign netted a nifty $16,650 by selling 3,520 raffle tickets, at $5 each, for a version of the rifle that cost the campaign $950.

    Franks, a dentist from Grasonville, pulled the winning ticket from a jar on Sunday, and the ticket-holder claimed his prize from an Annapolis gun store yesterday, campaign aides said. They declined to identify the winner, but they noted that the sale of the rifle is legal because the congressional ban has not yet taken effect.

    Franks's rifle raffle caught fire after receiving widespread publicity early this month. News of the raffle hit the Internet, a worldwide network of computer users, and telephone orders for tickets poured in from 18 states, said campaign aide Louise Reiner.

    "I think it turned out to be a bigger fund-raiser than we expected," she said.

    Franks opposes new efforts to control guns. Gun control advocates condemned his choice of an assault rifle for a campaign fund-raiser.

    © Copyright 1994 The Washington Post Company

    Back to the top

    Navigation Bar
    Navigation Bar