Of the hundreds of places to eat in Prince William County, these are some of my favorites. This list is not encyclopedic. There are no rankings. These are just places -- some are single restaurants and others are locations offering several choices -- that you should know about if you live here.
Browse or search listings, get maps and directions, read reviews or post your own.
Museums and Historic Sites
Ben Lomond Historic Site
10321 Sudley Manor Dr.
Off season: 571-641-0079
Built in 1832 by Benjamin Tasker Chinn, this farmhouse was used as a field hospital during the Civil War. Graffiti left by Union soldiers can be seen on the inside walls. The property, with one of the largest public rose gardens in the country, is open April 1-Oct. 31. Special tours are available by appointment. Hours: open in April Saturdays and Sundays only; open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, except for Tuesdays and Wednesdays, May though October.
Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre
12229 Bristow Rd.
The center dates from the 1820s, when the county seat was established there. Today, Brentsville is the county's oldest surviving courthouse. The site also contains a jail, a one-room schoolhouse, a log cabin and the Brentsville Union Church. The jail and the log cabin are closed for renovations. The 24-acre grounds, which include hiking trails and a picnic area, are open sunrise to sunset daily.
Cannon Branch Fort
10509 Wakeman Dr.
This is one of two remaining Civil War earthworks fortifications in Manassas. Historians think they were built by Union troops in 1863 and 1864 as part of a series of forts meant to defend supply lines along the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. The fort is under renovation.
Center for the Arts at the Candy Factory
9419 Battle St.
The 1908 Hopkins Candy Factory was restored in 2001 and 2002 and is now the home of Manassas's Center for the Arts at the Candy Factory.
Beverley Mill Dr.
Broad Run 20137
This grist mill was built in the 1740s. It was used as a meat curing warehouse and distribution center by Confederate forces during the Civil War. The battle of Thoroughfare Gap was fought in and around the mill on Aug. 28, 1862. Also known as Chapman's Mill, the structure is considered a ruin. The mill was set afire in 1757, 1842, 1861 and again in 1998. It was rebuilt in 1876. Its walls are being stabilized, and it is now closed to the public. The tallest stone building in the United States, the mill can be viewed from Route 55 west, Interstate 66 in Broad Run and from a trail above it within the Bull Run Mountains Conservancy.
Civil War Trails
Trail markers are found throughout Prince William County, Manassas and Manassas Park. Two new signs, commemorating events in Haymarket, can be viewed at the Haymarket Museum.
Conner Drive near Euclid Avenue
Manassas Park 20111
This home once served as mapping headquarters for Confederate Gen. Joseph Johnston after the First Battle of Manassas in 1861. Made of sandstone and built about 1820, it also was used as a headquarters for Union Col. L.B. Pierce and his troops and as a field hospital. The home is named for its last private owner, who operated a dairy farm there in the early 20th century. Currently being restored, it is not open to the public. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails.
Manassas Regional Airport
10400 Terminal Rd.
The museum's main purpose is to honor veterans of recent wars. The museum is a Smithsonian Institution affiliate and offers educational programs, including tours with veterans. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Daily. Free.
15025 Washington St.
The museum is operated by the Haymarket Historic Commission in Haymarket's former Town Hall. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturdays, Fridays by appointment, April 7-Dec. 15. Free.
Jennie Dean Gravesite
Greater Mount Calvary Christian Church
4949 Sudley Rd.
In 1893, Jennie Dean founded the Manassas Industrial School for Colored Youth, the only school in Northern Virginia at the time to provide vocational and academic training for black students. Dean was buried in 1913 in the graveyard of the Greater Mount Calvary Christian Church, a National Historic Site. She is said to have founded a church previously on the site, in addition to Dean Divers Baptist Church in Manassas in 1909 and Prosperity Baptist Church in Loudoun County in 1899.
8601 Portner Ave.
This is the largest plantation house in Manassas to have survived the Civil War. Built in 1825, it was used as a headquarters by Union and Confederate armies. President Abraham Lincoln visited the site, and historians think Jefferson Davis did, too. The building is under renovation but is open for programs and special events. Tours and lectures related to the property are available through the Manassas Museum by appointment.
Manassas Industrial School/Jennie Dean Memorial
9601 Prince William St.
The memorial commemorates Jennie Dean, a slave born in Prince William County in 1852, and the school she founded for blacks in 1893. The site offers a scale model of the school grounds and an audio tour of the historic Manassas Industrial School for Colored Youth. The memorial is open sunrise to sunset daily.
9101 Prince William St.
Manassas, Civil War and Northern Virginia Piedmont history, videos and a store with local gifts. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Sundays. Admission: $3; seniors and youths 6-17, $2; 5 and younger, free. Discounts for members, children and groups. Free to Manassas residents on Sundays.
Manassas National Battlefield Park
6511 Sudley Rd.
The park was established in 1940 to preserve the scene of two major Civil War battles, including the first major engagement of the war. The 5,000-acre park includes such historic landmarks as the Stone Bridge, Stone House, Henry Hill, L. Dogan House, Groveton Confederate Cemetery, Brawner Farm and the Stonewall Jackson monument. Markers point out sites of historic interest throughout the property; self-guided walking and driving tours are available.
Hours: Visitors center open 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m year-round, park open sunrise to sunset daily.
Manassas Railroad Depot
9431 West St.
The depot was rebuilt in 1914 and used as a station on the Southern Railway. The track is on the original site of the 1852 Orange and Alexandria Railroad right of way. Renovated in 1997 and now part of the Manassas Museum System, the depot serves as the visitors center for Old Town Manassas, includes the James and Marion Payne Railroad Heritage Gallery and as the headquarters of Historic Manassas Inc. It's a passenger depot for Amtrak and Virginia Railway Express. A gallery is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The waiting room is open for scheduled trains.
8401 Quarry Rd.
The fort is one of two remaining Civil War earthwork fortifications in Manassas. First occupied by Native Americans as early as 3700 B.C., the site was used in modern times as a home by the Hooe family until 1861, when Confederate troops built a fort on the site as part of their defense of the railroad lines at Manassas Junction. Today the site features eight Civil War Trail interpretive markers; the stone markers for the foundation of the Hooe homesite, Mayfield; the earthen remainder of the Civil War fort; and a reproduction cannon. The site is a part of Virginia Civil War Trails. Summer camps, Civil War reenactments and other events take place here. The park is open from dawn to dusk.
Mill House Museum
413 Mill St.
Occoquan's Mill House Museum is the site of the first fully automated grist mill in the country. The mill was built in the 1750s and operated until it was destroyed by a fire in 1924. The part that remains, the miller's office, is a museum.
Hours: 11 a.m-4 p.m. daily. Free.
National Museum of the
18900 Jefferson Davis Hwy.
The National Museum of the Marine Corps was completed in 2006 on a 135-acre site adjacent to the Marine Corps base in Quantico. Interactive exhibits using the most innovative technology and artifacts are designed to immerse visitors in the sights and sounds of Marines in action. The 118,000-square-foot facility will soon be complemented by a memorial park, parade grounds, artifact restoration facilities, classrooms, an on-site conference center and a hotel. Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. Closed Christmas. Free.
Old Manassas Courthouse
9248 Lee Ave.
The Old Manassas Courthouse was the fifth Prince William County courthouse. The county seat was moved from Brentsville into this red-brick building in 1897. It was used until 1982. It is available to rent for receptions and other events.
Old Town Manassas
9431 West St.
There are 18th- and 19th-century structures in the six-square-block historic district, including stores and businesses along Center, Battle, West, Main and Church streets and homes along Grant Avenue north of Church Street and over to Sudley Road. Old Town was named a Great American Main Street in 2003 by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
15500 Blackburn Rd.
This home, built in 1747, is under restoration. It was built by Richard Blackburn, a carpenter and landowner. His son, Thomas Blackburn, was a friend and aide to George Washington. The property was later owned by Bushrod Washington, the heir to Mount Vernon. The house, which overlooks the Potomac River, is open by appointment for tours and special events.
9300 Signal View Dr.
Manassas Park 20111
Signal Hill was used by
Confederate troops as a
signal station. It marked the first time a signal message was used during a military engagement. The earthwork still remains and cannon placements are evident. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The park is open from 8 a.m. until dusk.
St. Paul's Church
6735 Fayette St.
St. Paul's Church was built in 1801 as a courthouse for
Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun
and Prince William counties. During the Civil War, it served as a hospital, and its grounds were used as a burial site by the Union and Confederate armies. In 1862, Union troops converted the building into a stable before setting fire to it. In 1867, the structure was rebuilt as a church. Sunday services are 8, 9:30 and 10:30 a.m.
Town of Occoquan
There are several historic 18th- and 19th-century structures in Occoquan, including Rockledge, Town Hall, Ebenezer Baptist Church and the Mill House Museum.
3944 Cameron St.
P.O. Box 26
The museum, in a house dating to the 1750s, is named for past owners Mason Locke Weems and the man to whom he sold the house in 1802, Benjamin Botts. Weems is known as the first biographer of George Washington; he popularized legends such as Washington chopping down the cherry tree. Botts is noted for being on Aaron Burr's legal defense team. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays. Admission: adults, $3; children 6-16 and seniors, $2; children younger than 6, free.
La Amistad Visual and Performing Arts Organization
P.O. Box 4006
Program offers mentoring in dance, drama and vocals to people ages 8 to 80. It features works by lesser-known white, Hispanic, Asian and African American writers, composers and choreographers.
Manassas Art Guild
P.O. Box 3565
The guild promotes the appreciation of art and crafts through workshops, lectures, demonstrations and exhibitions. The guild has annual festivals in April and October.
Prince William Art Society
P.O. Box 2013
A nonprofit organization promoting the creation and exhibition of visual fine arts in Prince William County.
Manassas-Warrenton Camera Club
P.O. Box 3632
DeGrasse Dance Studio
13867 Smoketown Rd.
The studio offers performances and instruction in ballet, jazz, tap, hip-hop and lyrical dance.
Manassas Dance Company
9004 Mathis Ave.
The second-largest professional ballet company in Virginia, the Manassas Dance Company presents four major productions each season.
Manassas School of Dance
9004 Mathis Ave.
This professional ballet school also offers classes in jazz, tap, character and yoga. The school also has an extensive program for boys.
Manassas Community Chorale
P.O. Box 101
703-361-2146, Ext 291
New Dominion Choraliers
3610 Wanda Ct.
NOVA Manassas Symphony Orchestra
6901 Sudley Rd.
Old Bridge Chamber Orchestra
P.O. Box 4754
Prince William Chorale
P.O. Box 3228
Prince William Symphony Orchestra
8665 Sudley Road, # 305
Woodbridge Community Choir
P.O. Box 7714
Woodbridge Flute Choir
P.O. Box 10368
Woodbridge Music Club
1608 Ashford Pl.
Youth Orchestras of Prince William
P.O. Box 2127
Loy E. Harris Pavilion
9201 Center St.
This ice skating rink also functions as an entertainment space, hosting concerts, movies, dances and special events, such as a chili cook-off and chess tournament.
7800 Cellar Door Dr.
The performing arts venue has a capacity of 25,000.
Castaways Repertory Theatre Company
Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Bldg.
15941 Donald Curtis Dr.
A nonprofit community theater.
Center for the Arts at the Candy Factory
9419 Battle St.
Hosts Pied Piper Theatre, Rooftop Productions at Kellar Theater, Caton Merchant Family Gallery, SummerSounds Concerts, summer theater and arts camps for young people. Community ballroom dances and various arts-related classes are available.
Lazy Susan Dinner Theatre
Route 1 and Furnace Road
Prince William Little Theatre
P.O. Box 341
Theatre for the Community
9008 Center St.
Theatre for the Community is a production company of professional, semi-professional and amateur actors performing family-oriented, mainstream musicals, dramas and comedies.
Vpstart Crow Productions
P.O. Box 552
This professional theater company specializes in the classics and performs at the Cramer Center in Old Town Manassas.
Dale City Farmers Market
Dale Boulevard, Dale City commuter parking lot (next to Center Plaza)
703-670-7112, Ext. 227 (Betty Finney)
Hours: 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Sundays, April 1-Nov. 18.
Haymarket Farmers Market
15000 Washington St.
Town Hall parking lot
Hours: 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, April-late October.
Manassas Farmers Market
Loy E. Harris Pavilion (Thursdays)
9201 Center St.
Parking Lot B, next door to the train station (Saturdays)
West and Prince William
703-361-6599 (Linda Robertson)
Hours: 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursdays and 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, April 5 through October; also open in November, weather permitting