washingtonpost.com > Metro > Community Guides

Restaurants

Restaurants You Should Know About

With scores of restaurants across Southern Maryland, it can be difficult to make choices. Here are 10 dining spots you should know about in St. Mary's, Charles and St. Mary's counties. Some are for special occasions, and others are for everyday eating out.

More Restaurants in the City Guide

Browse or search listings, get maps and directions, read reviews or post your own.

Back to top »

Museums and Historic Sites

All Faith Episcopal Church
38885 New Market Turner Rd.
(Route 6)
Charlotte Hall 20622
301-884-3773
allfaithchurch@verizon.net
www.allfaithchurch.com
Built around 1767, the church has a rose window above the altar. The barrel ceiling, slave gallery and hand-wrought hardware are signs of the building’s age.

All Saints Episcopal Church
Route 470 (Oakley Road)
Avenue 20609
301-769-4288
Built in 1643 by Thomas Gerard, who was Catholic, for his Anglican wife.

Amish Community
St. Mary’s County
Amish families began moving to St. Mary’s County in the late 1930s, settling primarily in Charlotte Hall, Mechanicsville and Loveville. Motorists must stay alert to horse-drawn buggies. Amish and Mennonite farms and homes are distinguished by windmills and a lack of electrical lines. Those who welcome visitors place signs at their farms advertising their wares.

Cecil’s Mill Historic District
Route 5
Great Mills
301-994-1510
www.stmarysart.com
Cecil’s Mill was built about 1900 by John T. Cecil on the site of the 1826 Clifton Factory for cotton textiles, according to the St. Mary’s Historic Preservation Commission. It is a frame building on stone and brick foundations, part of which remain from the earlier structure, with later shed additions. The mill produced flour and animal feed until the early 1940s and retains nearly all of its machinery. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Crafts and artwork are displayed. Hours: mid-March-Oct. 31, 10 a.m-5 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays; Nov. 1-Dec. 30, 10 a.m-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays.

Dent Chapel
Charlotte Hall Veterans Home
Route 5
Charlotte Hall 20622
301-884-8171
Built in 1883, the chapel is considered one of the best examples of Victorian Gothic architecture in Maryland.

Drayden African American
Schoolhouse
Off Route 249
Drayden 20630
301-769-2222
www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/museums/draydenschoolhouse.asp
Built in the late 1800s, this is considered one of the best-preserved black schoolhouses in the country. Tours are by arrangement only.

Historic St. Mary’s City
18751 Hogaboom Lane, off Rosecroft Road
St. Mary’s City
240-895-4990
800-762-1634
hsmc@smcm.edu
www.stmaryscity.org
This outdoor living history museum and archaeological park documents the life of Maryland’s first permanent colony and the state’s first capital (1634-95), Godiah Spray Plantation, Woodland Indian Hamlet, 1676 State House, historic town center and the Dove, a replica of one of the two vessels that brought original colonists. Exhibits are open from mid-March through November, with special events on weekends through December.

Old Jail Museum
41625 Courthouse Dr. (Business Route 5 to Courthouse Lawn)
Leonardtown 20650
301-475-2467
www.smchistory.org
Offers exhibits of artifacts, antique furniture and the cannon from the Ark, one of the two ships that brought the first settlers to Maryland. Check the St. Mary’s County Historical Society Web site for special schedules and closings. Hours: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays.

Patuxent River Naval Air Museum
22156 Three Notch Rd.
Lexington Park 20653
301-863-7418
Fax: 301-342-7947
director@paxmuseum.com
www.paxmuseum.com
The only official Navy museum dedicated to naval aviation research, development, testing and evaluation. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays-Sundays. Closed New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Free.

Piney Point Lighthouse
Museum and Park
44701 Lighthouse Rd.
Piney Point 20674
301-769-2222
Fax: 301-769-2225
www.co.saint-marys.md.us/
recreate/museums/ppl.asp
Built in 1836, this is the first permanent lighthouse constructed on the Potomac River. It features picnic areas, a boardwalk, museum, gift shop and historic boat building. The grounds are open sunrise to sunset daily. Museum hours: noon-5 p.m. Fridays-Mondays, May-October. Museum admission: $3; ages 6-18, 1.50; 5 and younger, free.

Point Lookout State Park
11175 Point Lookout Rd.
Scotland 20687
301-872-5688
Fax: 301-872-5084
www.dnr.maryland.gov
The Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay join here. The area served as a watch post to warn of British ships during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. During the Civil War, it was a Union military district in which the federal government established a hospital and prisoner-ofwar camp. Hours: sunrise-sunset year-round. The park is open to night fishers with valid licenses.

Sotterley Plantation
Route 245 (Sotterley Road)
Hollywood 20636
301-373-2280
800-681-0850
Fax: 301-373-8474
officemanager@sotterly.org
www.sotterley.org
An 18th-century plantation on the banks of the Patuxent River. Gardens, slave cabin, smokehouse, nature trails. Grounds open daily, year round. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; noon-4 p.m. Sundays. These days and times are for selfguided grounds tours only. Mansion House tours offered May 1- Oct. 31. Tuesdays-Saturdays. Last tour at 3 p.m. Noon-3 p.m. Sunday. Grounds tours: $2. Mansion House tours: $8; seniors, $7; ages 6-12, $5; 5 and younger, free.

St. Andrews Episcopal Church
Route 4
(St. Andrews Church Road)
California 20619
301-862-2247
Built around 1767 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church’s hand-painted altar, completed in 1771, is one of only three of its type surviving in the country.

St. Clement’s Island Museum
38370 Point Breeze Rd. (at the end of Route 242)
Coltons Point 20626
301-769-2222
Fax: 301-769-2225
www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/museums
Exhibits trace the history of English colonization in Maryland from 1634. One-room schoolhouse, docking facilities and a water taxi to the island on weekends May- October, weather permitting. Hours: March 25-Sept. 30, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, noon-5 p.m. weekends; Oct. 1-March 24, noon-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Sundays. Admission: $3; ages 6-18, $1.50; 5 and younger, free. Water taxi, $5 a person.

St. Francis Xavier Church
Route 243 (Newtowne Neck Road)
Compton 20650
301-475-9885
Built about 1731, it is the oldest Catholic church that has been in continuous use in the English-speaking Americas. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. George’s Episcopal Church
Blake Creek Road and Route 249
Valley Lee 20692
301-994-0585
The current church was built in 1740. St. George’s has had continuous services since 1638, making it the oldest Episcopal parish in Maryland. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

St. Ignatius Church
Route 5 and Villa Road
St. Inigoes 20684
301-872-5590
The church was built in 1785 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church cemetery is one of the oldest in the nation.

St. Mary’s Chapel
Route 5
Ridge 20680
301-862-4597
Built in 1884 as a Victorian "chapel of ease." Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Trinity Episcopal Church
Route 5
P.O. Box 207
St. Mary’s City 20686
301-862-4597
www.olg.com/trinitysmcmd
The current church was built in 1829 from brick salvaged from the original State House of 1676. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The first Trinity Church was built near Ridge in 1638 and moved to St. Mary’s City in 1642. The Leonard Calvert Monument, on the church grounds, marks the site where Maryland colonists assembled to establish government and freedom of worship.

Tudor Hall
41680 Tudor Pl. (Take Business Route 5 to Tudor Place)
Leonardtown 20650
301-475-2467
The hall, circa 1756, houses the St. Mary’s County Historical Society, which maintains a research center there. It also houses the society’s bookstore, research library and historic gardens. Tudor Hall was the home of a relative of Francis Scott Key and the county’s first library. Hours: 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays. Research library hours: noon-4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays. Tours are free. Donations accepted.

Washington, D.C., Museums and Cultural Resources
SCENES AND SIGHTS around the region

Back to top »

Arts Organizations

St. Mary’s County Arts Council
P.O. Box 1310
Leonardtown 20650
301-475-6868
Fax: 301-475-2030
smcart@verizon.net
www.stmarysartscouncil.com
Fosters the development of the arts and artists in the county.

Arts Alliance of St. Mary’s College of Maryland
St. Mary’s College of Maryland
18952 E. Fisher Rd.
St. Mary’s City 20686
240-895-3038
Fax: 240-895-4990
www.artsallianceofstmarys.org
A volunteer organization that aims to support and enhance the arts at the college and to increase outreach from the college to Southern Maryland residents.

Back to top »

Galleries

North End Gallery
41625 Fenwick St.
Leonardtown 20650
301-475-3130
webmaster@northendgallery.org
www.northendgallery.org
Owned and operated by Southern Maryland artists, the North End Gallery has original and limited edition fine art, including oil, acrylic and watercolor paintings. There are also hand-pulled serigraphs, drawings, sculpture, pottery, jewelry, decorative art, painted silk scarves, photography, stained glass and digital images. Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays and noon-4 p.m. Sundays.

Back to top »

Theaters and Theater companies

Newtowne Players
P.O. Box 131
Leonardtown 20650
301-737-5447
information@newtowneplayers.org
www.newtowneplayers.org
Community theater troupe, performs at the Three Notch Theatre, the former site of the Lexington Park Library.

Back to top »

Regional Venues and Theater Companies

On Stage: Performance Venues, Theater Companies and Children's Theater

Back to top »

Shopping Centers

Guide to Selected Shopping Centers and Malls in the Washington Area

Back to top »

Farmers Market

California Farmers Markets
Route 235 at Town Creek Drive (BAE parking lot)
California 20619
301-475-4200, Ext. 1402
Hours: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, from May 6-Oct. 28.

Charlotte Hall Farmers Market and Auction
29980 Three Notch Rd.
Charlotte Hall 20622
301-884-3966
Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays, year-round.

North St. Mary’s County Farmers Market
Routes 5 and 6 (Charlotte Hall library parking lot)
Charlotte Hall 20622
301-475-4200, Ext. 1402
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, starting in early spring.

Back to top »


© 2006 The Washington Post Company