The Pentagon Memorial will open to the public Sept. 11, 2008 at 7 p.m., two years after ground-breaking ceremonies were held; and seven years after the tragic events that created a reason for the memorial to exist.
Before you visit the memorial, you can download this audio tour, which will guide you as you walk through the memorial grounds. Read the instructions below on how to download the tour.
When you arrive at the Pentagon Memorial, you will find there are no scheduled tours of the park. We invite you to download this tour, which includes insights from the designers of the memorial and the president of the Pentagon Memorial Fund, as well as short narratives about some of the victims of September 11, 2001.
Click below to sample the Pentagon Memorial audio tour:
To put the tour on your iPod, follow these instructions:
1. Download PentagonMemorialAudioTour.zip to your computer.
2. Unzip the file, using a program like Winzip or StuffIt Expander. The MP3s will appear in a folder called Pentagon Memorial Audio Tour
3. Drag this folder into your iTunes music library.
4. Create a playlist, and transfer the files onto your iPod.
5. Print out the map (PDF) of the park, which includes markers on each spot you will visit at the Pentagon Memorial Park.
Writer and Producer: Laura Cochran, Whitney Shefte | Narrator and Audio Editor: Whitney Shefte