System of Neglect | Human Costs of an Overburdened System

'Faking Symptoms' -- An Asylum Seeker's Ordeal Photos | Joseph Dantica' Story
Joseph Dantica, at left, had a valid visa when he entered the United States in 2004. But fearing for his life if he returned to his native Haiti, Dantica asked for asylum. He wound up being detained at Krome Service Processing Center, an immigration detention center in Miami. At his first asylum hearing, he became violently ill and appeared to lose consciousness, but medical workers there at first accused him of faking his symptoms. He was taken to a hospital where he died the next day. Watch

Hanna Boutros, 52, who came to the United States 30 years ago, waited seven months for surgery after receiving a diagnosis of "high-grade" prostate cancer, which his urologist urged be treated immediately. ICE officials sent him to Krome Service Processing Center in Miami because, they said, it could best deal with his condition.

But he was seen by nurses, not a doctor, until he found an outside lawyer to threaten a suit. Boutros finally got surgery just before Christmas, before he was deported to Lebanon, leaving two children and a wife in the United States. "I was miserable. I was very, very scared. It was always burning," he said.

Juan Guillermo Guerrero, 37, was denied his seizure medication and given an ineffective substitute. Suffering from one or two painful seizures a week, he told his lawyer to drop his case, saying he preferred to be deported than to die inside an immigration prison. A few days after he returned to Mexico, Guerrero died of asphyxiation during a seizure, according to his lawyers.

Sometimes, to save money, the government releases detainees instead of treating them. Martin Hernandez Banderas, a 40-year-old Mexican, was released from custody last year while he was in the hospital following surgery to amputate his leg. An internal review found that the system failed him before the surgery: Nurses and doctors at Otay Mesa did not appreciate the severity of his diabetic foot wounds, did not properly treat them or prescribe the correct course of antibiotics, and did not bring in a qualified surgeon to evaluate the problem.

Graphic: Deaths at ICE FacilitiesAt look at where deaths occurred in ICE facilities between 2003 and 2008.
Francisco Castaneda's StoryE-mail exchanges between DIHS employees speak volumes about the death of one detainee.
60 Minutes Segment Edwidge Danticat tells Scott Pelley she had to sue the federal government to learn details about how her uncle, Joseph Dantica, died in detention.
ARTICLE TOOLS When you see this icon in the story, roll over it to preview the file it references.

Print This Story

Simon Reyes-Altimirano, 25, a Honduran, was diagnosed with chicken pox and sent back to his cell with Benadryl, only to be hospitalized a day later and diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He died two weeks later.

Shack, the medical director, found that Reyes-Altimirano's care at the El Paso detention center had been "appropriate and timely." But a nurse at the center poured out her remorse in a typed note placed in Reyes-Altimirano's medical file. "We always have to listen to the patient and the reason I say this is because" when he first reported his problems, "one of the nurses said, 'I think he is faking his illness' ... this is not just a medical learning experience but also an emotional one."

Three weeks after Reyes-Altimirano died, a nurse at the Krome Service Processing Center accused the Rev. Joseph Dantica of faking an illness, too. The 81-year-old Baptist minister had fled Haiti in the fall of 2004, fearing for his life after gangs set fire to the church overlooking Port-au-Prince where he ran a school, let people use computers for free and quietly handed out money to needy families.

As a younger man, Dantica listened to tapes to practice English every day, but he never wanted to live in the United States, said a niece, writer Edwidge Danticat, who was raised by him. He visited once a year, to see his brother in Brooklyn and raise money for his church.

But after U.N. peacekeepers and Haitian riot police seized the church to use as a base against gangs, and after the gangs retaliated by burning the altar, Dantica slipped on a woman's muumuu and wig and headed to the airport. He arrived in Miami with a valid visa but decided to seek asylum because he thought he might have to stay longer than his visa allowed. In an earlier time, Dantica would have been permitted to go on to New York while the government considered his claim. This time, he was detained.

Dantica and an immigration lawyer were sitting before an asylum officer when the minister began to vomit violently. The lawyer, John Pratt, said agents at the detention center had taken away his client's blood-pressure medicine.

Dantica "turned very cold. His eyes wandered around, and he appeared not to be conscious of his surroundings," the asylum officer, Miriam Castro, later told investigators, according to confidential documents. "Applicant assumed a rigid position with his legs stretched out and remained in this position."

Castro called for medical help. No one came for 15 minutes. When the public health nurse and a physician assistant arrived, the nurse said he believed that Dantica "was faking because Applicant kept looking at him randomly," Castro said. The nurse, Tony Palladino, "then went on to demonstrate that when he moved Applicant's head up and down, Applicant maintained his head rigid as opposed to limp, thus not allowing his head to fall back. [The nurse] stated that was another way he determined Applicant was faking symptoms."

Dantica died a day later in Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital, shackled to a bed. Pratt had called the hospital repeatedly, trying to get information about the minister's condition and permission for his family to see him. "They never said anything but they were doing tests," Pratt said. Security reasons, hospital officials told him, prevented visitors.

The government's internal medical records say Dantica died of pancreatitis. A one-page death certificate in his file has "VOID" stamped across it. Two outside doctors who reviewed his medical records for The Post said he probably died of heart problems.

In their own words Poet Remembers Uncle
Glossary/Cast of Characters Edwidge Dantica talks about her uncle's death after he was detained in Miami.Press play to listen.
Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

Yusif Osman had been living in Los Angeles as a legal resident for five years when he was detained crossing back from Tijuana in 2006 with a passenger, also from Ghana, who had a false ID. Osman was arrested on a smuggling charge, which he denied and was fighting while locked up at Otay Mesa. He seemed healthy to his friends and family who visited him or spoke to him by phone.

His girlfriend, Dorothy Weens, was stunned when she picked up the phone in late June and a stranger broke the news. "Yusif Osman passed away," the man said.

When Osman's lawyer called the compound to verify what had happened, he was told only that his client was no longer there. Weens and a cousin of Osman's called immigration officials several times for answers. They were told that the matter was under investigation. Eventually they stopped calling.

Osman's belongings from the prison arrived at his cousin's house one day by mail. Pants. Socks. Scraps of paper with prayer verses written in Arabic. His birth certificate. A letter from Dorothy: "Hey Babe! Hang in there. I'm trying everything I can do, to get you out of there. I love you and God love you. And that all you needs. I'm sending you $100.00. Love, Dot."

There was also an inventory of the rest of his personal property on the day he died: "4 yellow envelopes. 1 writing pad. 1 religious beads. 1 Chap Stick. 14 Ramen soups. 1 grape jelly. 1 jar peanut butter. 1 hot cocoa mix. 1 box Q tips."

The mortuary received a preliminary death certificate from the coroner's office. It noted Osman's cause of death as "pending," enough to release the body. His mosque collected money for a burial in a Muslim cemetery in the Mojave Desert. Male friends dug the grave. They laid his corpse, wrapped in white cloth, into the open earth and covered it with rocky dirt.

The final death certificate arrived in the mail sometime later. Under cause of death, it still read "pending." Osman's passing remains a mystery to his grieving relatives in Ghana and his adopted African community in Los Angeles.

An uneven, blank concrete headstone marks Grave 26. The truth of Osman's death is also buried, thousands of miles away, past the Statue of Liberty replica near the front door, inside a cabinet at the Division of Immigration Health Services, in file #077-987-986.

Staff researcher Julie Tate and database editor Sarah Cohen contributed to this report.

« Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3


Key terms and acronyms from the Careless Detention series.

Document Archive

Document Archive

Read the original government documents related to the people and cases detailed in this story.

Mapping Deaths at ICE Detention Facilities

A Closer Look At 83 Deaths

Based on confidential medical records and other sources, The Washington Post identified 83 deaths of immigration detainees between March 2003, when the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency was created, and March 2008.

© The Washington Post Company