Convention Cheat Sheet: Bristol and Gustav
The Fix's guide to the best of last night
First lady Laura Bush, left, looks on as Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, addresses the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., Monday, Sept. 1, 2008. The opening ceremony for the convention was abbreviated with the attention focused on Hurricane Gustav. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)
More Campaign 2008 Headlines
As Hurricane Gustav battered the Gulf Coast, Republicans today completed an enthusiastic but abbreviated first session of their national convention with headlining appearances by the current First Lady and - Republicans hope - her successor.
- Laura Bush, Cindy McCain Open Convention
- Louisiana Delegates React to Events
- Capitol Briefing: GOP Scraps Candidate Speeches
- Protesters Storm GOP Convention
- Analysis: Hurricane in Question Is Still Katrina
- Ron Paul Hosts Separate Convention
- The Trail: McCain Says Palin Vet Was "Thorough"
- Palin's Daughter Is Pregnant | Fix Analysis
- McCain and Palin Campaign Together
VIDEO | The Republican strategist talks to John Meacham and Chris Cillizza about the state of the McCain campaign from the Republican National Convention.
Jonathan Capehart discusses John McCain's unwanted guest: Hurricane Gustav. Post opinion writers weigh in.
First Lady Laura Bush and Cindy McCain
The effect of Hurricane Gustav is just now being measured. When such events events occur, we're reminded that first, we're all Americans, and that our shared American ideals will always transcend political parties and partisanship.