Washington Post Poll
This Washington Post poll was conducted in two waves, March 17 to 20 and March 24 to 27, 2011, among separate random national samples of adults, including users of both conventional and cellular phones (996 adults in week one; 995 in week two). The results from each survey have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points. Sampling, data collection and tabulation by Princeton Survey Research Associates International (PSRAI) of Princeton, NJ.
*= less than 0.5 percent
1. In your opinion, which one of the following wars was the most important: (the Revolutionary War), (the Civil War), (World War II), or (the Vietnam War)?
3/27/11* World War II 38 Revolutionary War 25 Civil War 20 Vietnam War 7 All equal (vol.) 3 None (vol.) 1 Other (vol.) * No opinion 4 * Combined data for surveys ending 3/20/11 and 3/27/11.
2. Thinking about the different parts of the country, do you think the biggest cultural divide is between (North and South), (East and West), (big cities and small towns) or what?
Big cities North East and small towns and South and West Or what Equal (vol.) No opinion 3/20/11 42 21 16 8 1 12
3. (IF NON-SOUTH)* Have you ever lived in a southern state? *Southern states: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia
Yes No No opinion 3/20/11 32 68 * 7/7/96 27 73 - 7/2/96 25 75 -
4. (IF CURRENT OR EVER LIVED IN SOUTH) Is being a “Southerner” a very important part of how you see yourself, somewhat important, not too important or not important at all?
----- Important ----- ----- Not important ------ No NET Very Somewhat NET Not too Not at all opinion 3/20/11 39 18 21 59 12 47 3
5. Do you think the South has a distinctive culture, or is it really not that different from other areas of the country?
Has a distinctive Not that different No culture from other areas opinion 3/20/11 64 29 7
6. Just your best guess: Do you think racism is a bigger problem or a smaller problem in the South than it is in other parts of the country?
Bigger problem Smaller problem No opinion 3/27/11* 58 26 16 7/7/96 62 20 18 7/2/96 63 20 17 * Combined data for surveys ending 3/20/11 and 3/27/11.
7. If you honestly assessed yourself, would you say that you have at least some feelings of prejudice against Southerners, or not?
Yes No No opinion 3/20/11 10 89 1