Hitchens Affidavit on Blumenthal
Saturday, February 6, 1999
I, Christopher Hitchens, do hereby state on oath as follows:
1. I am 49 years of age and reside in the District of Columbia and am competent to execute this affidavit.
2. I am a resident alien, and am a citizen of the European Union and the United Kingdom.
3. I have been a journalist for 26 years.
4. I am self employed and contribute articles to Vanity Fair and The Nation.
5. Sidney Blumenthal and I are social friends and journalistic acquaintances.
6. On March 19, 1998, Sidney Blumenthal, Carol Blue, and I met for lunch at the Occidental restaurant in Washington, D.C.
7. If called to testify, I would testify on personal knowledge to the following facts.
8. During lunch on March 19, 1998, in the presence of myself and Carol Blue, Mr. Blumenthal stated that, Monica Lewinsky had been a "stalker" and that the President was "the victim" of a predatory and unstable sexually demanding young woman. Referring to Ms. Lewinsky, Mr. Blumenthal used the word "stalker" several times. Mr. Blumenthal advised us that this version of the facts was not generally understood.
9. Also during that lunch, Mr. Blumenthal stated that Kathleen Willey's poll numbers were high but would fall and would not look so good in a few days.
10. I have knowledge that Mr. Blumenthal recounted to other people in the journalistic community the same story about Monica Lewinsky that he told me and Carol Blue.
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NOT.
I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on this fifth day of February, 1999.
© Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company