One for the Ages: The Darrell Green Trivia Quiz
By Lauren Silva and Dan Hargett
washingtonpost.com Staff Writers
Web Posted: Thursday, Dec. 26, 2002; 1:58 p.m. EST
He hasn't played much lately, a disappointment for him and his thousands of fans, but will be with the starters for at least one play Sunday after a 30-minute celebration of his career. He's at peace saying goodbye after 20 years with the Redskins and will spend time with his family, church and foundation for inner-city kids."I leave with zero regrets, no hard feelings," he says. "Itís been a joyous career ó including this year."
As Green says so long, take our trivia quiz and see how much you know about the career of a Washington sports icon.
1) Redskin players and units have had some unique and peculiar nicknames
over the years. What nickname was thrust upon the Redskins' porous secondary which featured Darrell Green in 1983?
The Fun Bunch
The Pearl Harbor Crew
The Danger Zone
2) Which Redskins' record does Green currently not hold?
Most regular season interceptions
Most regular season games played
Most regular season games started
Most Pro Bowl appearances
3) When Green returned a memorable punt 52 yards for a touchdown against the Bears in a divisional playoff game in 1988, what part of his body did he
suffer an injury to?
4) Green was drafted in the first round of the 1983
draft. What pick was he and which player was drafted right before him?
28, Dan Marino
27, John Elway
22, Eric Dickerson
31, Dave Krieg
5) Green has earned what title on four separate occasions during his NFL
NFL's Man of the Year
NFL's Fastest Man
Commissioner's Intern of the Year
NFL's Shortest All-Pro
6) Green has earned seven Pro Bowl appearances, two fewer than the
Redskins player with the most appearances. Who owns that distinction?
Linebacker Chris Hanburger
Receiver Charley Taylor
Receiver Art Monk
Quarterback Joe Theismann
7) Which of the following movies was the top box-office hit during Green's rookie year in 1983?
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Right Stuff
Return of the Jedi
8) The names of Green's wife and children all begin with what letter?
9) In Green's college days at Texas A&I, he was a nationally-renowned
sprinter. During his senior year, his 10.8 second 100-meter time was second
to which future Olympic champion?
10) Green has often said this Cardinals' receiver and frequent
golf partner of Michael Jordan was always one of the toughest for him to
cover. Name him.
11) Green has scored more than one touchdown against three opponents
during his career. Which of the following teams does not belong on that list?
New York Giants
12) As of 2002, Green is one of only 13 active players in professional sports that have stayed with their current team for 15 years or longer. Which player in on that list?
Greg Maddux, Atlanta Braves
Steve Yzerman, Detroit Red Wings
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers
Morten Andersen, Kansas City Chiefs
13) Which of the following quarterbacks did Green intercept a
career-high three times in one game?
Philadelphia's Randall Cunningham
St. Louis Cardinals' Neil Lomax
Detroit's Chuck Long
Dallas's Gary Hogeboom
14) Which of the following Eagles' quarterbacks has Green not intercepted
a pass against?
15) Which of the following Super Bowl records did Green hold for many
years before it was finally broken?
Longest interception return
Longest punt return
Most passes defended, game
Longest fumble return
16) Green didn't complete his bachelor's degree until 1998, but
what university does he hold an honorary doctorate from?
University of Texas
George Mason University
George Washington University