In the footsteps of the presidents

It's nearly impossible to walk the streets of Washington and not tread on history. Take time to stop at some presidential locales that you might otherwise overlook. These buildings, hotels, churches and houses are where the founding fathers did both the momentous and the mundane. Click the points on the map at right or scroll down to start following in their footsteps.

Gadsby's Tavern

George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison

These early presidents all raised a glass at Gadsby's Tavern, which you can do today. The original tavern has been converted to a Colonial museum, and there is a restaurant with Colonial-era entertainment, food and drink. Gadsby's is offering 18th-century dance classes Feb. 11 from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. $12.

134 N. Royal St., Alexandria | 703-838-4242 | Web site

Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Shop and Museum

George Washington, James Monroe

Washington and Monroe were early patrons of the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Shop, as was Martha Washington, Nelly Custis and Robert E. Lee. One of the oldest in the nation, the apothecary shop opened for business in 1792 and survived the War of 1812, the 1821 yellow fever epidemic, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War and World War I. The Great Depression forced the shop to close in 1933; it reopened as a museum in 1939 and has more than 8,000 objects on display.

105-107 S. Fairfax St., Alexandria | 703-838-3852 | Web site

George Washington Townhouse

George Washington

This is a replica of a house built by Washington in 1769, which he used as an office and guesthouse. The original house was destroyed in 1855 but was rebuilt in 1960 using some materials from the original building.

508 Cameron St., Alexandria | Web site

George Washington Masonic Memorial

George Washington

The Masonic museum is also a memorial to Washington, who was a Mason and master of the Alexandria lodge. The memorial is modeled after the ancient lighthouse of Alexandria, Egypt. On display are Washington artifacts, including a strand of his hair.

101 Callahan Dr., Alexandria | 703-683-2007 | Web site

Old Presbyterian Meeting House

George Washington

Built in 1774, the still-active meeting house was the site of Washington's funeral services in 1799. Graveyard contains the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of the American Revolution.

321 S. Fairfax St., Alexandria | 703-549-6670 | Web site

Christ Church

George Washington

The church, built in 1773, remains in nearly its original condition. See the pew Washington purchased when the church was founded. Church was spared during the Civil War out of respect for the fact that Washington worshipped here.

118 N. Washington St., Alexandria | 703-549-1450 | Web site

Bank of Alexandria

George Washington

Original site of the Bank of Alexandria, where Washington was a charter stockholder. Bank was established in 1792 and is one of Alexandria's oldest commercial buildings.

133 N. Fairfax St., Alexandria | Web site

River Farm

George Washington

Washington bought River Farm property in 1760, one of the five farms to make up the Mount Vernon estate, and may have planted the walnut trees. The Soviet Embassy tried to buy the property in 1971, but it was eventually purchased by the American Horticultural Society.

7391 E. Boulevard Dr., Alexandria | 703-768-5700 | Web site

New York Avenue Presbyterian Church

Abraham Lincoln, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Harry S. Truman

Although Lincoln never formally joined this church, he regularly attended Sunday and midweek services here. On display today are the pew Lincoln rented from 1861 to 1863 and the manuscript of his proposal to abolish slavery. President Dwight Eisenhower attended services at the church in 1954 for Lincoln's birthday during which the idea of changing the Pledge of Allegiance to include the words "Under God" was suggested. Eisenhower signed the change into law later that year. The origins of this church date to 1793; its current structure was dedicated by Truman in 1951.

1313 New York Ave. NW | 202-393-3700 | Web site

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum

Andrew Jackson

Jackson took a ride aboard a Baltimore & Ohio Railroad train in 1833, making him the first president to ride the rails. He went from Ellicott's Mill to Baltimore.

901 W. Pratt St., Baltimore | 410-752-2490 | Web site
EDITORS: Tracy Grant, Anne Kenderdine; REPORTING: April Umminger; DESIGN: Wilson Andrews; CARTOGRAPHY: Laris Karklis, Mary Kate Cannistra - The Washington Post