Trying to tame a river
See how the Army Corps of Engineers took drastic action to contain flooding along the Mississippi River:
SOURCES: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, National Weather Service, NOAA, NiagaraParks.com.
GRAPHIC: Sohail Al-Jamea, Wilson Andrews, Bonnie Berkowitz, Gene Thorp and Karen Yourish - The Washington Post. Published May 17, 2011.
More flood coverage
- Barack Obama gives keynote address at Memphis high school, views flood damage, and meets NCAA champs
- BlogPost: Mississippi River flooding: What happens to the homes affected?
- In Louisiana, a choice between two floods
- VIDEO: Residents warned leave Cajun country
- VIDEO: Mississippi poor struggle with flooding
- Evacuees of Mississippi River flooding move into enclave built for those displaced by Katrina