The Story of an Extraordinary Election
“The way I would tell the story would really have to do with what this campaign said about America and where we've traveled,” Obama said.
Hoping to shake up his campaign, John McCain took a surprising gamble on a relative unknown from Alaska.
Obama reflects on the journey and lessons of the campaign.
Chris Cillizza moderates a conversation with Haynes Johnson and Dan Balz.
Balz shares his own photos from campaign trail.
Dan Balz's Top 10 Takes
- The Health Care Divide (Oct. 4, 2007)
- Who is a Republican? (Oct. 15, 2007)
- Fateful Minutes in Philadephia Dimmed Clinton's Prospects (Dec. 14, 2007)
- Forget February. What About November? (Feb. 4, 2008)
- Final Debate Changes Little, Though Earlier Ones Changed Obama (Feb. 27, 2008)
- New Wine in Old Bottles (June 25, 2008)
- The Content of Their Characters (June 9, 2008)
- In Biden, Obama Opts for Experience Over Change (Aug, 23 2008)
- A Debate About McCain (Oct. 7, 2008)
- At the End of an Extraordinary Ride (Nov. 4, 2008)
About The Authors
Balz is the lead political reporter for The Washington Post. He has also served as the paper's national editor, political editor, and White House correspondent.
Johnson holds the Knight Chair in Journalism at the University of Maryland. He's a former reporter and editor for the Post and is a Pulitzer Prize winner.
About the Book
Battle for America 2008 tells the story of the 2008 campaign from the inside out, with exclusive interviews with the candidates and their top strategists that produce intimate portraits of Obama, Clinton, and McCain. Buy the book at Amazon.com.