The Washington Post
Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar

Related Items

  • Summary

    On Our Site
  • Resources on the Kansas City Chiefs are available in Sports Across America.
  • Ravens schedule
  • Team index
  • Ravens Section
  • NFL Section

  •   For Ravens, QB Case, It's Almost Pointless

    Stoney Case
    Ravens quarterback Stoney Case is hit by Kansas City safety Reggie Tongue during the first quarter. (Roberto Borea Associated Press)
    By Kathy Orton
    Special to The Washington Post
    Friday, October 22, 1999; Page D5

    BALTIMORE, Oct. 21 – Perhaps the only fans who enjoyed this night were the ones who relish defensive battles.

    In a game that featured few offensive highlights by either team, the Baltimore Ravens lost, 35-8, to the Kansas City Chiefs tonight before a sellout crowd of 68,771 at PSINet Stadium.

    Baltimore's only points came with 4 minutes 5 seconds remaining in the game when Errict Rhett scored on a two-yard run. Chuck Evans scored on the two-point conversion.

    Tight end Tony Gonzalez caught two touchdown passes for Kansas City, which improved to 4-2 in collecting its first road win of the season.

    The Ravens' offensive woes continued. Baltimore Coach Brian Billick, frustrated by starting quarterback Stoney Case's inability to move the offense, benched him with 10 minutes left in the game. Backup Tony Banks made his first appearance of the season.

    Case completed 15 of 37 passes for 103 yards and threw three interceptions. He continually underthrew his receivers.

    "This is as disappointing of a game as I've ever played in," Billick said. "You try to improve from one week to the next. ... but none of that happened tonight. It's disappointing that we can't support our defense better than that."

    The Chiefs didn't get their initial first down until Elvis Grbac completed a 20-yard pass to Kevin Lockett on the final play of the first period. That started a 73-yard drive that ended with Grbac throwing an 11-yard touchdown pass to Gonzalez.

    Kansas City managed only seven yards and failed to make a first down on its other six possessions before halftime.

    The Chiefs' defense also scored twice. Cornerback James Hasty, who had two interceptions in a game for the first time since 1988, returned one for 56 yards with 5:10 remaining in the third quarter to put the Chiefs ahead 14-0.

    Gonzalez's second score came with 12:37 remaining in the game. He caught a 22-yard pass from Grbac to put Kansas City ahead 21-0.

    The Chiefs' second defensive touchdown came when linebacker Donnie Edwards intercepted a pass by Case and lateraled the ball to Reggie Tongue, who returned the ball 38 yards to give Kansas City a 28-0 lead with 10:35 left in the fourth quarter.

    Former Ravens running back Bam Morris completed the scoring late in the fourth quarter with a one-yard run. Morris, who finished with 70 yards on 16 carries, became the first running back to rush for more than 55 yards against the Ravens this season.

    Kansas City's defense did not yield much to the Ravens. And without a reliable passing threat, Baltimore (4-2) was unable to generate much of an offense.

    The Ravens' already depleted offensive line suffered another blow when starting right tackle James Atkins left the game in the first quarter with a strained groin. Atkins, who had not played a game this season because of a strained hamstring, was filling in for starter Harry Swayne. Baltimore listed Swayne (lower leg contusion) and backup tackle Spencer Folau (knee) on the inactive list prior to the game. After Atkins left the game, the Ravens were down to six healthy offensive linemen.

    Baltimore moved left guard Everett Lindsay to right tackle and shuttled in Mike Flynn and fourth-round draft pick Edwin Mulitalo at left guard. Mulitalo made a nice block for Rhett on his biggest gain of the game, an 18-yard run.

    Case was 1 for 10 in the first quarter, but the Ravens benefited from two pass interference penalties against Cris Dishman, including a 37-yarder, to move to the Kansas City 16.

    Baltimore had a chance to take the early lead when Matt Stover kicked a 32-yard field goal. However, the Ravens were penalized for 12 men on the field. Stover's second attempt from the 37-yard line hit the right upright.

    "It's pretty disappointing," Case said. "It's probably one of the most disappointing losses of my career. I can't remember when its been this bad. I have no excuse. I just played terribly."

    © 1999 The Washington Post Company

    Back to the top

    Navigation Bar
    Navigation Bar
    WP Yellow Pages