The Washington Post
Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar

Related Items
 Redskins Section

NFL Section

  Redskins Lose Big Lead, Tie Dallas

By Dave Brady
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 20, 1961; Page C22

Dallas, Nov. 19 — Their dismal 17-game losing streak came to an end in the Cotton Bowl today, but the Washington Redskins still didn't win.

The Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys, the last team they beat, played to a wild and wooly 28-28 tie that more than matched the Texas setting.

It was the 20th straight game without a victory for the Redskins, who played two ties last season before losing their last eight games. They had lost all nine previous games this season.

Quarterback Norm Snead and his offensive mates, who hit a season high on the scoreboard, made menacing gestures toward winning. For instance, they took a 21-7 halftime lead and with 7:29 left in the game had a 28-21 lead.

But, by injuring Dallas quarterback Don Meredith with ten minutes left, the Redskins probably cost themselves the game.

LeBaron to Rescue
It brought on the scene little Eddie LeBaron, longtime Washington hero who promptly completed seven straight passes. LeBaron put on a clutch drive, going 3 for 5 with his passes and scampering for 12 yards to get his march started.

With 1:57 left on the scoreboard, LeBaron pitched a three-yard touchdown pass to Maryland's Dick Bielski. And Bielski booted his fourth conversion for the tie that got even more exciting from that point.

In the last 25 seconds John Avent tried a 41-yard field goal, but it was blocked by linebacker Chuck Howley of West Virginia.

And, on the last play of the game, Bielski tried a tough 49-yarder. The kick was short and hardworking Dickie James, again displaying his remarkable two-way ability, caught it at the four and ran it back 25 yards as the game ended.

End Zone Interference
It was James, forced to play defensive safety because of the ejection of Dale Hackbart, who set up the last Redskin touchdown. From the Dallas 31 Snead threw to James but Dallas defender Jimmy Harris flagrantly interfered with him in the end zone and Washington was given the ball on the Dallas one.

Snead sneaked over from there, his second 1-yard running score of the day, after Don Bosseler was stopped.

Neither Dallas, now 4-5-1, nor Washington, 0-9-1, sought to settle for this deadlock.

The Redskins went ahead, 28-21, after Dallas gambled on a fourth-down, 1-yard situation at the Cowboy 44. Dick Lasse, a fine performer today, and Jim Kerr stopped Amos Marsh on the try when he and LeBaron messed up a handoff.

In the t hird quarter, leading 21-14, Washington also took a big chance on its 41 with fourth and one. Snead barely sneaked for it. In fact, Dallas coach Tom Landry and most others in the partisan crowd, estimated at 17,500, didn't think he made it.

From there, Bill Anderson, who grabbed 10 passes for 168 yards for his best day, had some tough luck. Anderson got inside the Dallas 35 with a Snead pass but fumbled when hit and Dallas linebacker Mike Dowdle recovered at the Dallas 29.

Dallas went on from there to tie it at 21-21, with Meredith again doing an excellent running and passing job.

The Cotton Bowl crowd of 17,500, as well as the hundreds of thousands of TV viewers had much to marvel at in that hectic last minte. Nothing counted but much happened.

After Snead completed a 14-yard pass to Anderson to the Redskin 32, there was only 1:30 showing on the clock. Dicky Moegle had a Snead pass in his hands, but dropped it. Then Tom Franckhauser held a Snead pass and went 28 yards with his interception to Washington's 32.

The Redskins seemed lucky indeed because it didn't count; Dallas was called for defensive holding. Given this life, Snead came through with a 23-yard pass to the active Mr. Anderson to the Dallas 36.

On a draw play, Jim Cunningham dashed to the 27 but here the Skins were called for holding and penalized to midfield. Again Snead and Anderson teamed in the clutch to get back to Dallas' 35.

Fearing time would run out, coach Bill McPeak sent in Avent on third down for that 41-yard field goal try. It was blocked through no fault of Aveni, who wasn't slow on his boot.

Then Bielski made his long try. He didn't have such good luck, either, and it was worse because he was hurt and stretched out on the field long after the game.

Although they got off badly, the first half was more Washington's cup of tea even if this hard-hitting game was no tea party.

Meredith, having one of his best days, got Dallas the first score with a 40-yard touchdown pass to Frank Clarke. The second-year quarterback from Southern Methodist was just missed by a couple of Redskins and did a good job of getting it off.

Snead, who completed 16 of 23 passes for 234 yards, and the Skins bounced right back. Anderson wormed away from Franckhauser for a big 33-yard gain to the Dallas 21. The former Tennessee ace then took one 13 yards to the 1, and Snead took it from there.

Hackbart Ejected
Hackbart, thrown out of the game after he and Dallas tackle Bob McCreary engaged in a swinging duel downfield, made his presence count on the second play of the second period. He picked off a Meredith pass and ran cleverly for a 33-yard touchdown.

It was the sixth time this year Dallas was victimized on an all-the-way interception, a fantastically high number.

Hackbart is the fellow from Green Bay who made another scoring run, 48 yards, with an interception against the Giants in the D.C. Stadium opener.

Snead, completing 9 of 10 passes in the first half, pitched the Skins to a 21-7 lead when he found Fred Dugan all alone in the end zone for a touchdown. It made it a nice homecoming for Dugan, who played here for the Cowboys last year.

Meredith tried to fire back but Dick James made a late saving interception at the five and ran to the Redskin 30 just before intermission.

79-Yard Kickoff Return
But Meredith, frequently employing a shotgun formation, came back strong in the third period. He was helped no little at the outset. Marsh took Aveni's kickoff four yards in the end zone, fumbled it just long enough to mess up Washington's defense and then ran all the way to the Redskin 25. Sam Horner stopped him after his 79-yard journey.

Jim Steffen then couldn't stop Billy Howton from making a nice, diving end zone catch of a 15-yard Meredith pass.

Howton made a second circus catch at the Redskin five for another 15-yard gain later in the period. And Don Perkins, used in spot situations because of a knee injury, went over in two tries.

Then Meredith hurt his shoulder with 10 minutes left when Gene Cronin, the other Dallas alumnus, and Andy Stynchula hit him fiercely but cleanly.

That brought on LeBaron and the scheduled five-hour plane trip back to Washington won't be as merry for the Redskins as it might have been.

© Copyright 1961The Washington Post Company

Back to the top

Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar
WP Yellow Pages