The Washington Post
Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar

Related Items
 Redskins Section

NFL Section

  Cowboys Shoot Up Redskins, 38-10

By Jack Walsh
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 5, 1962; A18

The Washington Redskins didn't exactly meet the challenge of playing before a sellout crowd of 49,888 at D.C. Stadium yesterday, largest ever to see a sports event here.

They were pasted by the Dallas Cowboys, 38-10, and toppled out of first place in the National Football League's Eastern Conference as the second half of the season got underway.

That was the final blow on a thoroughly frustrating afternoon. St. Louis, ahead of the New York Giants on the scoreboard all day, succumbed at the end, 31-28, and the Giants took over the lead with a 6-2 record.

Perhaps the Redskins (4-2-2) didn't deserve a better fate the way they played. Where the defense faltered in last week's first loss to the Giants, 49-34, a collapse by the offensive unit led to the second defeat in a row.

Washington's passing game, the only potent one it has, fell down with quarterback Norman Snead way off target with only 11 completions in 27 attempts and shut out in the touchdown department.

Troubles Compounded
Troubles were compounded by the blanking of Bobby Mitchell, the absence of end Fred Dugan, a couple of damaging fumbles by halfback Billy Barnes and a host of other things a losing ball club encounters.

Coach Bill McPeak just said after the game: "What a day to fall flat..."

The Redskins didn't score their lone touchdown until only 11 seconds remained and it was rookie quarterback Galen Hall who pitched them goalward and went over himself on a 1-yard sneak on which he went a bit to the right of center.

Leroy Jackson, the almost forgotten No. 1 draft pick, had a bit to do with it by grabbing a pass for 8 yards and running wide for 11 yards to set up Hall's move.

With Dallas ahead at that point, 38-3, it didn't do anything about making Washington's 5-point favoritism anything but a cruel hoax by the oddsmakers.

Truthfully, both clubs were off badly in the first half. Eddie LeBaron, league-leading passer with a remarkable 63.6 per cent accuracy average, went 0-for-5 before intermission while Snead hit only 6-of-15.

Dallas Capitalizes
But it might have remained 3-3 if Barnes hadn't fumbled at the Redskin 30 after the Cowboys twice were forced to punt. Dick Nolan, who later dislocated his shoulder, got the ball. Dallas quickly capitalized with Don Meredith, their other shuttle quarterback, pitching an 11-yard scoring pass to end Lee Folkins, who made a low, diving catch and survived a hard encounter with the goalpost.

In the second half, LeBaron made amends with a 23-yard touchdown pass to Amos Marsh and another of 14 yards to Frank Clarke, who passed Mitchell in the league touchdown race, 12 to 11.

Marsh, a swift and strong runner, also got off an electrifying 70-yard run before being hauled down at the Redskin 5 by Jim Steffen, who played an outstanding game on a day he couldn't raise his left arm.

Meredith made Marsh's journey profitable with a 4-yard scoring pitch to J.W. Lockett. The other touchdown was on a 4-yard run by rookie Amos Bullocks, who had to replace Don Perkins, No. 2 runner in the league, who went out in the first half with a sprained ankle.

The Cowboys, who were making one of their biggest pay days with a cut of approximately $75,000 gave signs early they were tired of being the only pro team that never has beaten the Redskins.

In four previous tries, the best they've managed were two ties at Dallas.

The Cowboys moved well the first time and settled for a 16-yard field goal by Sam Baker when the Redskins stiffened near their goal.

That a rout would develop didn't seem in prospect when the Redskins quickly retaliated. Snead passed to Mitchell for a 41-yard gain to the Dallas 23 where Bobby made a remarkable catch and rookie Mike Gaechter, right with him, couldn't be faulted for the reception.

But that quick blast, and another 26-yard gain, were the only ones for the Redskin' battery that had so much to do with the team being unbeaten in its first six games.

Mitchell caught five passes f or 86 yards. After the game, he said his ankle troubled him a bit and he also received a whack on his side. "I had no speed," Bobby said, glumly.

The partisan Redskin crowd grumbled over a couple of calls at the end of the first half. Punter Doug Elmore, who got off one for 15 yards, was knocked over by end Bob Lilly, but the official ruled a Redskin knocked Lilly into Elmore and wouldn't give the penalty.

Then Meredith made an apparent fumble, recovered at the Dallas 35 by Andy Stynchula, but an incomplete pass was the strange ruling.

Fans Boo Everyone
The officials were booed rather lustily but, in the second half, the disgruntled patrons, including 669 who paid $6 each for standing room, turned their vocal chords on the Redskins and quarterback Snead.

On a day his protection had to be considered excellent, Snead was not hitting his receivers. One play stands out. In the second period, trailing, 10-3, Snead had a third-and-one situation at the Cowboy 25.

He called a beautiful play, faking into the line as James sprinted five yards in the clear. Snead threw a high lob and defender Bishop, with his back to the ball, had his hands outstretched and it hit one of his, not James.

On fourth down, Snead missed on a sneak. It was the first time all year the Redskins failed to make a fourth-and-one play. They had eight of them, including exhibitions.

Snead said he didn't think his banged knee could be blamed for his off day. Obviously, it didn't help and he will be X-rayed today to see if there's further damage.

Snead's first attempt in the third period, a pass to Mitchell was picked off by rookie Gaechter and he ran to the Redskin 41. Marsh, completely alone, made the interception costly when he caught LeBaron's touchdown throw.

After Marsh rambled for 70 yards to the Redskin 4, Lockett took a quick pass from Meredith and it was 24-3. It was getting late for the Redskins.

Snead passed 15 yards to Don Bosseler to midfield. Then he turned to little Dickie James, filling in capably for Dugan. James made a nice catch at the Cowboy 30 and the Redskins went to the 15 when Don Bishop grabbed James' face mask.

Barnes Fumbles Again
Barnes made five yards and Bosseler four. Then Barnes made the first down inside the five but fumbled and Lilly picked it up to stave off the scoring threat.

At the outset of the fourth quarter, Bill Anderson, another one of the limping corps of pass receivers, made a fine reception of a Snead pass at the Dallas 14 but the Redskins were called for having an illegal receiver downfield and penalized back to their 45. It was a fourth-down play that resulted in the wasted clutch effort by Anderson.

That's when the Cowboys added two touchdowns and the Redskin shock troops did what the varsity couldn't do all day, score one.

So now it's the Cleveland Browns, tied with Dallas for third at 4-3-1, who come to town next Sunday. No doubt they'll be riled over being tied by the down-trodded Philadelphia Eagles.

They may be a bit angry, too, over that 17-16 upset handed them by the Redskins in the second game of the year. From the looks of the walking wounded yesterday, this is not an appropriate time for Dr. George A Resta, Redskin team physician, to be at Georgetown Hospital as a patient himself.

© Copyright 1962 The Washington Post Company

Back to the top

Navigation Bar
Navigation Bar
WP Yellow Pages