Quarterly Report
First  |  Second  |  Third  |  Fourth

The Washington Post
Monday, Oct. 13, 2008; Page E12

Redskins 7, Rams 3

Washington's first drive lasted six plays and ended when Santana Moss dropped a short third-down pass that would have been enough for a first down. The game's first big play came from a punter, Washington rookie Durant Brooks, who pinned St. Louis at the 3-yard line. After Steven Jackson gained a yard on St. Louis's first play, Marcus Washington forced a Jackson fumble on the next snap, and LaRon Landry recovered at the 3. The Redskins needed one play cash in, with a three-yard Clinton Portis touchdown run. The teams traded three and outs before the St. Louis offense finally got untracked. Helped by starting field position at their 38, the Rams moved the ball 29 yards and got on the scoreboard when Josh Brown's 51-yard field goal clanked off the left upright and fell through.

Rams 10, Redskins 7

The Rams punted on all three of their drives in the quarter, and Washington fumbled on its first drive and punted on its second. But with time running out in the half, the Redskins' offense started to find a rhythm. Campbell hit Chris Cooley just before the two-minute warning for 10 yards, and Portis rushed for 11 and 12 yards on consecutive plays. After a holding penalty, Cooley made a spectacular catch, holding on to an over-the-shoulder pass as he was hit for a 28-yard gain, giving Washington a first down at the Rams 16-yard line. But on the next play, Campbell's pass was batted, and guard Pete Kendall caught it. Kendall looked to run but was hit by Pisa Tinoisamoa and fumbled. Safety Oshiomogho Atogwe picked up the loose ball and returned it 75 yards for a touchdown.

Rams 16, Redskins 7

The Rams opened the second half at the 42-yard line following a strong return by Dante Hall and seemed to carry over the momentum from the fumble return before intermission. Going to running back Jackson on 7 of 12 plays, the Rams moved 51 yards down the field, converting a fourth and four along the way, to set up Josh Brown's 25-yard field goal and expand the lead to 13-7. After both teams punted on their next possessions, a sack of Campbell on third and three forced the Redskins to punt again, and this time Brooks shanked a 26-yarder to give St. Louis the ball at the Washington 33-yard line. Despite good field position, St. Louis could not reach the end zone, and Brown hit a 44-yard field goal to give the Rams a 16-7 lead.

Rams 19, Eagles 17

The Redskins moved into St. Louis territory with a 23-yard catch by Antwaan Randle El, but a false start on Todd Yoder and a Campbell sack blunted their momentum. Still Shaun Suisham's 38-yard field goal drew them within six. The Rams sabotaged their next possession with two penalties. Then Washington, behind its running game, moved to the brink of a touchdown with a 29-yard pass to Randle El; it went ahead on Portis's two-yard score. St. Louis had nearly four minutes left and took advantage. Marc Bulger converted two third-down passes to Donnie Avery, the longest a 43-yard bomb that moved St. Louis into field goal position. An unsportsmanlike conduct call against Richie Incognito made things interesting, but Brown converted a 49-yard field goal as time expired.

© The Washington Post Company