Pick the Winners Contest
Official Rules and Details
Back to the Contest Page
- No purchase necessary.
- You must be 18 or older to enter.
One entry per person.
All subsequent entries will be disqualified.
- To enter, predict one winner from each category of Academy Awards nominations listed on the contest page and answer the tie-breaker question. Entries may be made via the Internet from the Movies and Video page of washingtonpost.com from Feb 12, 1999 through 11:59 am (EST) on March 21, 1999. Or, you may submit your entry by mail to washingtonpost.com, Pick the Winners Contest, 1560 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22209. Mail entries must be submitted on a 3 x 5 card, must include your name, address and telephone number and must arrive no later than Friday, March 19.
- To qualify to win the Grand Prize, the entrant must select the most correct answers. In the event of multiple qualifiers, the tie-breaker question will be used to determine the Grand Prizewinner. If there still are multiple qualifiers, the Grand Prizewinner will be the person who provided the most correct and complete entry and submitted the correct answer to the tiebreaker question first.
- The Grand Prizewinner will receive a three-day, two-night trip for two to the premiere of the movie "Austin Powers II: The Spy Who Shagged Me." The premiere is on June 8 in Los Angeles and includes roundtrip airfare, hotel accommodations and two tickets to the premiere and some other groovy prizes we will toss in at whim. All other expenses, including taxes and transfers are the sole responsibility of the winner. Estimated retail value: $3,000.
- All other prizes will be awarded at random among from among all other contest entrants regardless of the correct nature of their answers. These prizes include 25 pairs of passes to a private screening party of "Austin Powers II: The Spy Who Shagged Me" (value $15) on a date to be determined at the Motion Picture Association in Washington, DC. Odds of winning the randomly awarded prizes depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Winners assume all risks of prizes, including travel, and agree that Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive (WPNI), The Washington Post Company (TWPC) and their affiliates, employees and agents have no liability concerning acceptance, use or misuse of any prize, including, but not limited to, acts or omissions of third parties. Travelers must execute a release of liability before ticketing.
- No substitutions or transfer of prizes permitted. The contest is not open to employees (and immediate family), affiliates or agencies of WPNI or TWPC. Void where prohibited. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- By acceptance of the prize, the winner consents to the use of his/her name and/or likeness for all publicity purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law.
- WPNI will use electronic mail and/or telephone to notify winners. Winners will be chosen on or about March 22, 1999 and will be notified on or about March 23, 1999. Failure of winner to reply within 10 business days will result in disqualification and the selection of a new winner.
- For a list of winners, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope before April 1 to Winners/Pick the Winners, Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive, 1560 Wilson Blvd., Arlington VA 22209.
- This contest is not affiliated with, endorsed by or licensed by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). Academy Awards, Oscar(s) and the Oscar statuette are copywritied property of AMPAS.
Back to the top