Democracy Dies in Darkness

Middle_east

Trump seems to undercut Tillerson’s remarks on Qatar

By Karen DeYoung, Sudarsan Raghavan

June 9, 2017 at 7:12 PM

by Karen DeYoung and Sudarsan Raghavan

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called on a Saudi Arabia-led bloc of Arab nations Friday to immediately ease their blockade of Qatar and urged all involved in the week-long Persian Gulf dispute to quickly resolve their differences, remarks that President Trump seemed to undercut less than an hour later.

Trump began a Rose Garden news conference with the visiting president of Romania by saying that the Saudi-led action against Qatar was "hard but necessary." He said he had been consulted in advance by nations that "spoke to me about confronting Qatar," a country he said historically has been a "funder of terrorism at a very high level."

He said he had decided, along with Tillerson and "our great generals and military people, the time had come to call on Qatar to end that funding . . . and its extremist ideology."

Earlier, in a brief, formal statement at the State Department, Tillerson had called on Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt to ease their blockade, warning that it was causing humanitarian hardship in Qatar, harming U.S. and international business, and hindering U.S. military actions against the Islamic State.

Watch more!
President Trump called Qatar a “funder of terrorism” at a news conference on June 9 at the White House. (Reuters)

A senior administration official, speaking after Trump's comments, acknowledged a difference in "tone" with Tillerson. "But I think the policy is consistent," said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to explain the apparent discrepancy.

Trump does not oppose easing the blockade — although he did not mention it — but "he does believe that [Qatar] deserves it," the official said. If the Persian Gulf states and Egypt "want to keep the pressure on" in terms of canceling flights with Qatar and "pulling ambassadors . . . [Trump] is okay with that."

"Tillerson may initially have had a view, then the president has his view, and obviously the president's view prevails," the official said. He said that the two had spoken immediately before Tillerson's State Department remarks, which the secretary read over the telephone to the president. Tillerson and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis also met with Trump on Thursday at the White House.

The fast-escalating crisis in the Persian Gulf began Monday when Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt severed relations with Qatar, expelled its diplomats and nationals, and closed ports, airspace and borders to the small, energy-rich nation surrounded on three sides by the Persian Gulf. Its only land border is with Saudi Arabia.

Trump, in a series of Monday postings on Twitter, quickly congratulated the Saudis and claimed credit for encouraging the move. He said that while he was meeting with Arab leaders in Saudi Arabia last month and calling for them to unify against extremism, they had "pointed" at Qatar as a terrorism funder.

Although Trump delivered a speech to dozens of leaders of Muslim-majority countries called to Riyadh for the occasion, the focus of the visit was the bilateral relationship with Saudi Arabia, with which the administration said it had concluded "more than half a trillion dollars" of military sales and commercial deals, and U.S. defense coordination with the Gulf Cooperation Council, the six-member regional body that includes the Saudis, the UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait and Oman.

The group has always been less than cohesive, with the Saudis claiming leadership and Qatar challenging its dominance and differing on issues such as forming a working relationship with Iran, which Qatar favors. As they did with President Barack Obama, the members signed a communique with Trump pledging unity. The Saudis took action against Qatar less than 24 hours after Trump left Riyadh.

Even as Trump was tweeting his approval, Tillerson and Mattis, traveling together in Australia, called for calm and mediation. The Pentagon's air operations for the Middle East, and the conflicts in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, are headquartered at a large air base in Qatar, home to at least 10,000 U.S. service members.

Throughout the week, the Pentagon has emphasized that the dispute has not affected its operations.

Qatar, the world's largest exporter of liquefied natural gas, has long been an influential regional player. In addition to its dialogue with Iran, it has raised the ire of its gulf neighbors over its support for the Muslim Brotherhood, viewed by Saudi Arabia, Egypt and other authoritarian countries as extremist and a threat to their existence. Qatar has used its wealth to also support groups such as Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Saudi Arabia, too, has come under scrutiny for indirectly supporting extremist networks that promote the kingdom's arch­conservative Wahhabi interpretation of Islam.

In his statement, Tillerson said the U.S. expectation was that "these countries will immediately take steps to deescalate the situation." He said that the United States supported regional mediation efforts and that "it is clear to me . . . that the elements of a solution are available."

He called on Qatar "to be responsive to the concerns of its neighbors. Qatar has a history of supporting groups that have spanned the spectrum of political expression, from activism to violence," Tillerson said. While "the emir of Qatar has made progress in halting financial support and expelling terrorist elements from his country . . . he must do more and he must do it quickly."

In comments apparently addressed to Saudi Arabia and its partners, however, he said: "Others must also continue to eliminate . . . support for violent extremism within their own borders."

Trump, on the same theme, said, "For Qatar, we want you back among the unity of responsible nations. We ask Qatar and other nations in the region to do more and do it faster."

Trump also appeared to issue a more generalized call for changed behavior in the region, although he did not mention political reforms. "I want to call on all of the nations to stop immediately supporting terrorism, stop teaching people to kill other people, stop filling their minds with hate and intolerance," he said. "I won't name other countries, but we are not done solving the problem."

Hours before the U.S. statements on Friday, the four Arab nations that cut ties with Qatar placed dozens of people and groups with suspected links to the nation on a terrorism blacklist, deepening the dispute.

Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt designated 59 individuals and 12 charities as terrorists in a joint statement published by the Saudi news agency. The list included the spiritual leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, as well as several Qatari-funded charities.

Related: [Bahrain and UAE criminalize ‘sympathy’ for Qatar]

In a joint statement, the Saudis and their partners said they had created the list because of "the continuous and ongoing violations of the authorities in Doha of Qatar's commitments and obligations."

It included 18 Qatari citizens accused of financing terrorism, well-known business executives, politicians and top members of Qatar's ruling family. In addition to the Muslim Brotherhood's leader, Egyptian-born cleric Youssef al-Qaradawi, 25 other Egyptian nationals were included on the list. Shiite Muslim groups in Bahrain, allegedly linked to Iran, were also on the list, as were citizens of Libya, Kuwait, the UAE and Yemen.

In its own statement, the Qatari government said that the list "reinforces baseless allegations that hold no foundation in fact."

Raghavan reported from Doha. Thomas Gibbons-Neff in Washington contributed to this report.

Read more

Related: Trump jumps into worsening dispute between Qatar and powerful Arab bloc

Related: Three maps show how the Qatar crisis means trouble for Qatar Airways

Related: For Qataris, a U.S. air base is best defense against Trump attacks

Related: Today’s coverage from Post correspondents around the world

Related: Like Washington Post World on Facebook and stay updated on foreign news


Karen DeYoung is associate editor and senior national security correspondent for the Washington Post.

Sudarsan Raghavan is The Post’s Cairo bureau chief, and has reported from more than 60 countries. He has been variously posted in Baghdad, Kabul, Johannesburg, Madrid and Nairobi (twice). Raghavan has covered the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the 2011 Arab revolutions, as well as reported from 17 African wars.

Post Recommends
Outbrain

You obviously love great journalism.

With special savings on our Basic Digital package, you’ll never miss a single story again.

Already a subscriber?

Secure & Encrypted