The Washington Diplomats tonight came up with the lucky bounces that up with the lucky bounces that have escaped them most of this season.

Robert Iarusci scored on a header off an effective corner kick by Sonny Askew with four muinutes left in the first overtime to lift the Dips to a 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Fury before a shocked gathering of 2,942 tonight at Veterans Stadium.

The dips (4-7) were just 37 seconds away from their fifth straight loss when Alan Green scored after taking a cross from Juan Jose Lazano. It tied the score at 1-1.

"Juan crossed it and it took a high bounce off the turf," said a delighted Green, who scored his ninth goal of the season. "It went so high, I had to jump to get my foot up there to hit the ball. It was an opportunistic goal, a lucky goal."

Philadelphia (3-8), winner of its previous two games, appeared stunned by Green's goal.The Fury obviously had not fully recovered when they strolled back onto the field.

The Dips, who outshot the Fury, 18-10, were back on the attack when Philadelphia forced a corner kick. Lozano, playing in place of johan Cruyff (pulled thigh muscle), lofted a corner kick that was knocked out by a defender.

This time Askew put the ball in play from the corner. Iarusci zipped past two Fury defenders and caught the ball perfectly on the side of his head. Fury goalie Bob Rigby never had a chance as the ball flew past him for the winner.

"I looked at the bench and saw Joe Mallett (assistant coach) tell me to go up," said Iarusci, who scored his team's only goal (penalty kick) in a 2-1 loss to the Cosmos Sunday "I was behind them (Fury players) but when he waved me up, I took a little

"We finally got a break. We've played so well the last three games and didn't win," Iarusci remarked. "Look what happens. We don't play well and we get breaks. The ball bounces up to Green and then we score on a header after getting a bounce to get the ball. We go scoreless for more than 89 minutes, then get two goals like that. Usually when you get one break, another follows. It's about time."

Washington Coach Gordon Bradley was equally ecstatic.

"The players needed to win this one," he said. "When we were one goal down, we had to throw everyone forward to get the equalizer. And we did. Anything is possible in this game, I didn't give up. The breaks usually even out."

For more than 89 minutes, the Dips too often resembled walking dead men artifical surface and frequently lost the battle of the bouncing ball.

"It was a narrow field and just a difficult game to play," Bradley commented. "Philadelphia was coming off a 5-2 result and played us tight."

Philadelphia Coach Eddie Firmani felt Washington should not have been given the corner kick that led to the winning goal.

"It was a bad decision. The referee was obstructed and the linesman called it," Firmani lamented.

The Fury had scored only five goals in the first eight games, but didn't look like a club struggling offensively. Outshot, 6-5, in the opening 45 minutes, Philadelphia had the best scoring opportunities.

Fury winger Tony Glavin seemed to have strings tied to the ball as he consistently broke free in the middle of the Washington defense. The quick forward missed connecting on his first shot, a hard, low liner that Dip goalie Bill Irwin pusched wide.

The hosts had another good chance following a foul call on Washington defender Iarusci. On an indirect free kick, Bob Vossmaer, who had two goals and an assist in his team's 5-2 win over New England on Sunday, booted the penalty shot wide with 15 minutes remaining in the half.

Both teams had some difficulty gauging the wind and handling the high bounces off the AstroTurf surface. Most of the first half was spent chasing long balls kicked downfield by both goalies.

Philadelphia got another chance and this time took advantage to go ahead, 1-0.

Glavin grabbed a loose ball approximately 25 yards from the Washington goal. He snaked his way through three Dip players toward Irwin. The Washington keeper went out to challange Galvin.

Just as Irwin slid in an attempt to block the shot, Washington's Nick Mijatovic and Wim Jansen rushed back to help. Glavin got off a hard 12-yard shot that ricocheted off the shoulder of Mijatovic. The ball caromed off the turf directly in the middle of the net at 42:59 for the half's only score.

Washington, which just before the game received the news that the NASL had ruled against its protests of Sunday's 2-1 loss to the Cosmos, didn't have the fire and spirit it showed Sunday.

"It's the largest disparity of emotion I've ever had in my life," remarked the Dip's general manager, Andy Dolich, looking around at the sparse crowd. "As for the protest we went through the constitutional process and although we don't necessarily agree with the commisioner (Phil Woosnam), we'll abide by the decision with no appeal. I just hope the red card rulings will be more positive."