The Adams Building at 1333 F St. NW is currently being renovated for office and retail use at an estimated cost of $4.4 million.
The local firms of John G. Georgelas and Sons Inc. of McLean and M. E. International Services Inc. said they will attempt to preserve the building's seven-story granite facade while refitting it with operable windows and new entrances. The structure was previously occupied by Bond Clothing.
The builders said the site is of "historical importance" because it was the location for a residence occupied by presidents James Madison and John Quincy Adams. It was rebuilt in 1886 into one of the first office buildings on F Street NW, which was until then part of a residential neighborhood.
The building has 4,400 square feet of retail space on the ground floor, which has already been leased. The upper floors have 29,730 square feet of space. Each office floor will have its own electrical system for energy conservation purposes.
The architect for the renovation is Thomas G. Georgelas and Associates. The building is owned by the Adams Building Partnership.
Other developments in local commercial real estate:
* United Parcel Service will open its new facility in Burtonsville on Sept. 11. The company said the new operation will be its largest in Maryland.
* The American Psychiatric Association is in the process of moving its headquarters to 50,000 square feet of space at 1400 K St. NW. About 155 of the association's employes should be working there by Labor Day. The American Psychiatric Press Inc. will relocate in the 191,000-square-foot building later this year, the association said.
* Travelon Ltd. has signed a three-year lease for about 1,000 square feet of space in the Calverton Office Park's John Hanson Building in Beltsville. The lease, which has a net aggregate value of over $45,000, was signed with Calverton Joint Venture, owner of the building.
* At the same location, Kenneth K. Chung has signed a 10-year lease for about 1,000 square feet, to be used for a carry-out restaurant. The lease has a net aggregate value of about $170,000.
* The high technology firm STSC Inc. has leased over 2,000 square feet at 2115 E. Jefferson St. in Rockville from Dun & Bradstreet Inc., owners of the building.
* XMCO Inc., a professional services firm in the defense industry, has leased 4,654 square feet of space at 8200 Greensboro Drive in McLean. The firm also has offices in Detroit and Irvine, Calif.
* The Maryland Department of Economic and Community Development's Community Development Administration has signed a purchase agreement for the sale of $16.5 million in multi-family mortgage revenue bonds that will finance 406 units of rental housing.