Martin Marietta Corp. has leased 118,967 square feet at The World Trade Center, at 400 Virginia Ave. SW, according to Smithy Braedon, the agent in the transaction.
The Bethesda-based manufacturer will be the principal tenant in the development, which contains a total of 205,000 square feet. Martin Marietta will move in following completion of the building in May, according to a statement by Smithy Braedon.
The real estate firm said it has leased 82 percent of the center, including 50,000 square feet to Legal Services Corp. The World Trade Center is being developed by Hadid Investment Group Inc.
Other recent developments in commercial realty in the Washington metropolitan area:
* Virginia Square Plaza, a medical office building complex near the Virginia Square Metro in Arlington, has been sold to Central Park Associates for $10 million, according to Mount Vernon Realty Inc. Plans already have been approved for the construction of two additional office buildings on the site.
* The Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corp. has leased 49,000 square feet in the newest building of the Lake Fairfax Business Center. According to the developer, the Mason Hirst Cos., this is the second lease in two months to be signed by Freddie Mac in the Reston center. The corporation already occupies a 30,000-square-foot building there.
* Jarvis Corp., a Richmond-based telephone-system manufacturing firm, announced last week it is moving its Washington area offices to 2802 Merrilee Dr. in Fairfax. The move from its old location on South Prosperity Avenue in Fairfax will allow the company to double the size of its Washington facility from 10,000 to 20,000 square feet.
* Central Air Conditioning Contractors Inc., one of Columbia, Md.'s oldest firms, has purchased the first industrial building to be built in Columbia for its corporate headquarters. CACC's offices and manufacturing operations will occupy half of The Industrial Building, as the 27,000-square-foot structure is known. The Industrial Building is located at 9195 Red Branch Rd.
* Quadrangle Development Corp. has announced new tenants at National Place at 1331 Pennsylvania Ave. NW: American Satellite Co., 6,200 square feet; Amercian Academy of Pediatrics, 4,905 square feet; Winthrop Securities Corp., 10,590 square feet; Electronic Data Systems, 8,115; Kunkel Transportation, 762 square feet; Riddell, Holroyd & Butler, 2,235 square feet; and General Electric Corp., 3,373 square feet. Quadrangle announced that 80 percent of the complex's 410,000 square feet of office space has been leased.
* Environ Corp. has signed a lease for 9,310 square feet at 777 14th St. NW.
* The Chemical Specialities Manufacturers Association has leased 7,860 square feet at 1001 Connecticut Ave. NW.
* Abramson Associates has leased 6,155 square feet at 1275 K St. NW.
* Abel Laboratories Inc. has signed a five-year lease for 12,012 square feet at 8320 Guilford Rd. in Columbia.