Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver and Jacobson; the American Council of Life Insurance, and Crowell and Moring have leased a total of about 280,000 square feet at 1001 Pennsylvania Ave. NW.
The building has a total of 795,000 square feet of space, according to developer Cadillac Fairview Urban Development Inc. Designed by Washington architects Hartman-Cox in association with Smith Segreti Tepper McMahon Harned, the office building has 14 stories and covers a city block bound by Pennsylvania Avenue, 10th, 11th, and E streets NW.
The structure will have a limestone and brick exterior and a seven-story marble rotunda. Completion of the project is expected by late 1986.
Other recent developments in commercial realty in the Washington metropolitan area:
* The Oliver T. Carr Co. and Southern Region Industrial Realty Inc., a subsidiary of Norfolk Southern Corp., announced plans to renovate the Southern Railway Building at 1500 K St. NW. The $48 million restoration project will consist of 225,000 square feet of existing office space, 30,000 square feet of new construction, and 20,000 square feet of retail space and underground parking with an I Street entrance.
The Southern Railway Building was built in 1928, and served as headquarters for that firm until 1984. The project is expected to be completed in March of 1987.
* The Institute for Defense Analysis of Alexandria has leased approximately 62,000 square feet of research and development space located at Forbes Boulevard and George Palmer Highway in Lanham.
* EDS Corp. has renewed its lease for approximately 33,470 square feet of office space at 5615 Fishers Lane in Rockville.
* The following tenants have signed leases at Seneca Park Plaza in Germantown: Seneca Valet, 1,408 square feet; First Women's Bank of Maryland, 2,209 square feet; Pizza of Seneca Park, 1,680 square feet; 7-Eleven, 2,699 square feet; Video Station Inc., 1,892 square feet; Countryside Beer and Wine, 2,600 square feet; and Hair Trimmers, 500 square feet.
* The Vidar Corp. has leased the remaining 29,567 square feet of Building One at Van Buren Office Center, located along the Herndon Parkway in the Dulles-Reston corridor.