An article in yesterday's Washington Business section incorrectly stated where Treasury bills can be bought in person. The correct address is the Bureau of Engraving and Printing Annex Building, 1300 C. St. SW. The mailing address is Bureau of the Public Debt, Dept. N, Washington, D.C. 20239-1500.

If you are receiving retired pay from any branch of the uniformed services and you live in Virginia, you now can arrange to have Virginia income tax withheld from your retirement check. To authorize withholding, write to the retired pay office of your service. Here are the current addresses:

*Army: Commanding Officer, U.S. Army Finance and Accounting Center (Dept. 90), Indianapolis, Ind. 46249.

*Navy and National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration: Commanding Officer, Navy Finance Center (Code 301), Anthony J. Celebrezze Federal Building, Cleveland, Ohio 44199.

*Air Force: Commander, Air Force Accounting and Finance Center, Attention: RP, Denver, Colo. 80279.

*Marine Corps: Commanding Officer (CPR), Marine Corps Finance Center, Kansas City, Mo. 64197.

*Coast Guard: Commanding Officer (Retired), U.S. Coast Guard Pay and Personnel Center, 444 S.E. Quincy St., Topeka, Kan. 66683.

*Public Health Service: U.S. Public Health Service, Compensation Branch, 5600 Fisher Land (Room 4-50), Rockville, Md. 20857.

People who elect to have tax withheld from their retired pay may be required to make estimated tax payments as well. This is especially likely if you have other taxable income from which no Virginia tax is withheld.

At least 80 percent of the total tax due must be prepaid, either by withholding, estimated tax or a combination of the two. If you have other sources of income on which Virginia tax is not withheld, you may request your military service to withhold enough tax from your retired pay to satisfy the total tax obligation, thus avoiding the need to file and pay Virginia estimated tax quarterly.

Q: When I was living in New York City, I purchased Treasury bills in "book-entry form" directly from the New York Federal Reserve Bank. During the six-month holding period, the Treasury Department would send me a card asking if I wanted to roll over the principal or have the bill redeemed at maturity. In my current town (Frederick, Md.), I must go to a local bank to purchase the T bills, where I am charged a hefty fee. To my surprise, I have been told that I will have to pay the fee again to roll over the principal at maturity. Is this legal? Can the bank charge an exorbitant fee for mailing back that inquiry card for me? Did I do something wrong?

A: It is legal for the bank to charge you any fee it wishes for handling this transaction; the Treasury Department has no rules governing charges by purchasing agents.

You didn't actually do anything wrong -- but there is a fairly simple way to avoid the bank charge. You still can buy your T bill directly from a Federal Reserve Bank as you did in New York, but by mail instead of in person.

If you write to the address that follows, you will receive an application form for "Tender for Treasury Bills in Book-Entry Form." When you complete the form, be sure to check the box marked "noncompetitive bid."

Mail three copies of the completed tender form with your certified check payable to the U.S. Treasury for the face amount of the bill -- a minimum of $10,000, or multiples of $5,000 above that amount. (A cashier's check issued by a bank, savings and loan association or credit union and payable to the U.S. Treasury also is acceptable.)

Shortly after the next auction, the difference between the amount you submitted and the issue price as determined by the auction will be sent to you by Treasury check. And some time during the life of the bill you will again get a card permitting you to request either rollover or payment at maturity.

Now that all-important address: Mail your check and tender to Fiscal Agency Department, Federal Reserve Branch, 114-120 East Lexington St., P.O. Box 1378, Baltimore, Md. 21203. Print "Tender for Treasury Bills" at the bottom of the envelope. Virginia residents should address their tenders to Fiscal Agency Department, Federal Reserve Bank, 701 East Byrd St., P.O. Box 27622, Richmond, Va. 23261.

Or you can arrange to buy Treasury bills in person at the Securities Transaction Branch of the Bureau of the Public Debt in Room 2134 of the Main Treasury Building. If you prefer the easier mail route, write to the Bureau of the Public Debt, Book Entry, Washington, D.C. 20226.