* The Standard & Poor's 500-stock index fell 36.01, to 1247.41; the NYSE's composite index fell 15.16, to 576.17; the Nasdaq composite index fell 75.01, to 2731.83; and the American Stock Exchange index fell 8.95, to 777.00; and the Russell 2000 index of smaller companies fell 4.61, to 414.70.
* Declining issues outnumbered advancing ones by more than 3 to 1 on the New York Stock Exchange; volume was 912.7 million shares, up from 892.3 million on Thursday.
* The price of the Treasury's benchmark 30-year bond rose $8.44 per $1,000 invested, and its yield fell to 6.26 percent from 6.32 percent late Thursday.
* The dollar fell against the Japanese yen and the euro. In late New York trading, a dollar bought 105.50 yen, down from 107.36 late Thursday, and a euro bought $1.0894, up from $1.0776.
* Light sweet crude oil for November delivery settled at $22.82 a barrel, up 37 cents, on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
* Gold for current delivery rose on the Commodity Exchange division of the New York Mercantile Exchange to $314.90 a troy ounce from $312.70 on Thursday.