* The NYSE's composite index rose 9.87 to 601.16; the Standard & Poor's 500-stock index climbed 18.04 to 1301.65; the Nasdaq composite index advanced 14.57 to 2816.52; the American Stock Exchange index rose 6.52 to 792.61; and the Russell 2000 index of smaller companies rose 4.42 to 418.69.
* Advancing issues outnumbered declining ones by 2 to 1 on the New York Stock Exchange. Trading volume fell to 959.2 million shares from 1.01 billion on Thursday.
* The price of the Treasury's benchmark 30-year bond rose $1.25 per $1,000 invested, and its yield fell to 6.34 percent from 6.35 percent late Thursday.
* The dollar fell against the Japanese yen and rose against the euro. In late New York trading, a dollar bought 105.81 yen, down from 106.05 yen late Thursday, and a euro bought $1.0690, up from $1.0802.
* Light sweet crude oil for December delivery settled at $23.45 a barrel, up 84 cents, on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
* Gold for current delivery fell on the Commodity Exchange division of the New York Mercantile Exchange to $301.80 a troy ounce from $304 on Thursday.