While most airlines are cutting back on their food offerings, there is still plenty to eat on the nonstop transpacific flights operated by carriers such as United Airlines, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific Airways. The flights typically offer a dinner, snack and breakfast service. Here is the dinner menu on Cathay Pacific Flight 873, a daily 14-hour nonstop flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong:
* Caesar salad with chicken, Caesar dressing.
* Choice of stir-fried seafood with egg fried rice; braised beef with red wine sauce, pearl onions, cheddar cheese mashed potato, carrots and beans; or bow tie pasta with spinach and fresh mushroom in pesto cream sauce.
* California cheesecake.
* Bread, soft roll and Milano cookie.
* Smoked duck breast with mango salsa.
* Seasonal salad with portobello mushroom and prawn with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
* Choice of: steamed sea bass with Chinese ham and mushroom and steamed rice kailan; or lamb chops with mustard herb crust, fresh asparagus and yellow squash.
* Cheese plate with crackers, selected fresh fruit, passion fruit and mousse cake.
* Garlic bread, sourdough bread and focaccia.
* Grilled prawns with fava beans and Parmesan cheese.
* Russian caviar with garnish (egg white, egg yolk and chopped onion).
* Fine smoked salmon with creme fraiche, boiled new potatoes, chives, lemon and Melba toast,
* Cream of mushroom soup.
* Heart of romaine with crispy prosciutto ham and Caesar dressing.
* Choice of: grilled Maine lobster with clarified butter, boiled fingerling potatoes, baby zucchini and carrots; grilled beef tenderloin with glazed shallot and red wine sauce, red potato wedges and grilled mixed vegetables; or pistachio wild mushroom pasta with tomato sauce and shaved Parmesan cheese.
* Cheese tray with carrot and celery sticks, grapes, dried fruits and nuts.
* Haagen-Dazs ice cream cup.
* Garlic bread, soft roll, focaccia, sourdough bread and ciabatta.
SOURCES: Gate Gourmet International, Cathay Pacific Airways