Mark K. Braswell, an expert in securities law, joined the District office of Thelen Reid & Priest LLP in the commercial litigation section.
Braswell came to the firm from Venable LLP, where he advised clients on securities law, including the Sarbanes-Oxley law. Before that, Braswell spent almost nine years at the Securities and Exchange Commission's Division of Enforcement under three SEC chairmen.
* F. Amanda DeBusk, a former assistant secretary for export enforcement at the Commerce Department, joined Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP in the District office as head of the international trade practice.
* Christopher "Kip" Schwartz has joined the District office of Thompson Hine LLP as a partner in the business litigation practice group. Also joining the group are lawyers C. Dennis Southard IV and Brooke Falk. All three were most recently with Buchanan Ingersoll PC.
* Jean C. Edwards, a patent prosecutor, has joined the Washington office of Akerman Senterfitt from Dickinson Wright PLLC.
* Philip M. Horowitz, a senior real estate partner with Venable LLP, has been elected president of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers, effective in January.
* Michael S. Tuscan and Erich E. Veitenheimer III have joined Cooley Godward LLP as partners in the intellectual property group, focusing on patent issues for life sciences and biotechnology companies. Both came from Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP.
-- Larry Liebert