While the gunman who killed tow people and injured two others in an office building here remained on the loose, police today said they believe the attack was a "deliberate, calculated act."

Police Chief Norman Stamper recounted at a morning news conference how the suspect entered through the year of the building, walked directly to the crime scene, apparently bypassing several offices. He said nothing and opened fire. "We are very confident that this was not a random act. . . . We believe the general citizenry is not at risk," Stamper said.

The chief said that while he is confident that that gunman will be captured, he admitted "we don't know where he is; we do not know who he is."

Police spent the day searching for the gunman who opened fire at the offices of the Northlake Shipyard Building and have widened their focus from nearby residential areas.

Stamper said that as more time passes, it becomes more likely that the suspect is no longer in the area. Police SWAT teams on Wednesday searched door-to-door in the neighborhoods near the shipyard, but did not find the suspect.

One squad is now patrolling the area -- the Wallinford neighborhood -- ready to respond to any calls reporting suspicious activity throughout the day, police said.

The gunman walked into first floor offices about 10:30 a.m. (PST) on Wednesday wearing a dark trench coat, sunglasses and camouflage clothing. He used a 9mm handgun to shoot four people.

The King County medical examiner's office identified the dead as Russell J. Brisendine, 43, and Peter Giles, 27. Brisendine was a marine engineer who worked on boats' electrical systems. Giles, nephew of the shop's owners, was the general manager.

Outside the Northlake Shipyard Building this morning, Chris Dean brought two bouquets of flowers to the doorstep shortly after sunrise. He said he knew the victims. Beside his flowers lay a note from someone else, in black marker on yellow lined paper. It read, "Pete -- You will always be with us!" and was signed, "the gang."