Warner Wolf said yesterday in New York he was negotiating an extension of his contract with WABC-TV, where he is currently the 6 p.m. nightly news sports commentator.

The former Channel 9 star, who has been missed in this market since his departure for the ABC Television Network Sports and WABC a year ago, scotched rumors he was about to return to WTOP.

As part of the complicated deal he signed with ABC Sports in 1976, Wolf agreed to handle the evening sports show on WABC, ABC's New York outlet, for one full year, in addition to network sports assignments that run through March 1978 under a separate agreement.

"WABC has asked me to come back," he said yesterday. "If I do, it means I won't be moving back to Washington right away."

He pointed out that if the WABC nightly assignment stops in March, he will probably return to his home in Potomac while he completes the second year for network sports.

"Everybody in ABC Sports except Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford live outside New York and fly to assignments on weekends," Wolf pointed out, "I would do the same."

He said his next two network assignments are at a Feb. 12 speed skating championship in Keystone, Colo., and two days of a sprinting speed skating meet in Holland, Feb. 26-27.

He hasn't received a spring or summer assignment yet. His performance on ABC's baseball telecasting crew last year drew criticism from a number of TV critics around the country.

They may seem like antagonists on "Agronsky and Company" every weekend on Channel 9, but columnist Carl Rowan is one of two sponsors who have put the name of James J. Kilpatrick up for membership in the exclusive Gridiron Club.

"I think he'd make a good addition to the song-and-dance club," said Rowan. There's been no action on the application yet, he said.

Where Are They Still Dept: Jack Peck, the host of WRC-TV's "Take it from Here" until last August, has had two ABC game shows shot out from under him in the past two years.

Now the network is giving him a third chance with a "high stakes, high risk" game show called "Second Chance."

It will replace the "Don Ho Show" at noon, starting March 7.

The way the president of the American Medical Association told it this weekend, Sears, Roebuck has agreed to stop sponsoring violent TV shows - an AMA's prodding.

Dr. Richard Palmer, the AMA chief, said the medical group had asked 10 major corporations and the networks to review policies that support the most violent shows.

"Since contacting Sears, Roebuck and Co.," he said, "I have leared that Sears had reviewed its corporate policy and will not knowingly place commericals in any programming that contains excessive violence or sanctions antisocial behavior."

The Channel 26-produced "Washington Week Review" is having a 10th anniversity party on Friday, Feb. 25, at WETA's Shirlington, Va., studios and it will be open to the public on a first-come, first-served ticket basis.

The longest-running public affairs show on public TV is often listed as the most popular such show on PBS, according to research figures.