Q - I'm going to live on a boat and do some coastal cruising for at least a year. Some of this will be away from the States. Should I take all my film with me or buy it as I go?

A - It wouldn't be a good idea to take all your film with you, since heat and humidity make storing conditions on a boat uncertain. Your best bet is to buy film and develop is as you go along. Take enough with you to last until the next main port of call. There you should send the exposed rolls to a lab, or use those handy Kodak mailers and pick up some fresh film. Most countries now fly the yellow Eastman banner, and you can get good processing all over the world.

I don't recommend taking film that need special care - like the new professional emulsions that require refrigeration. Film off the shelf is usually okay, especially if the store is big enough to keep the products moving. Be sure to check your expiration dates and keep your film in as cool and dry a place as possible on board the boat - one of those plastic foam coolers will do.

As for brands, I'm not necessarily pushing Kodak - they don't subsidize me - buy they do have the best system worldwide of film availability and processing. Of course, if you're in an area where other brands are available and the processing with, by all means use that product. It's more important to have fresh film and immediate processing than stick to one brand and take a chance on old film or holding on to your exposed rolls.[WORK ILLEGIBLE] - I'm going on a trip to Europe where they use the DIN system instead of ASA to rate film speed. Is there any handy way I can correlate to figure the relative speed of the film I buy there?

A - ASA 12 and DIN 12 are both the same. From there up, add three to the DIN number each time you double the ASA. Like: ASA 25=DIN 15, ASA 50=DIN 18, ASA 100=DIN 21, and so forth.