It is a familiar sight to the joggers, cyclists and meanderers who frequent the friendly environs of the C&O Canal. The Abner Cloud House, located on the canal, was built in 1801 and because of some timely restoration is saved from the march of time to become a visitor information center. Tomorrow the Washington Metropolitan Chapter of the American Institute of Architects honors at C & O Canal Restoration Team of the National Park Service with a First Award in restoration.
All told, seven awards will be presented in two categories: one is restoration, the preservation of deteriorating buildings; the other "extended use," or use of whole buildings, or parts of buildings, from the past in contemporary projects.
The First Award in extended use goes to Georgetown University's Dalgren Chapel (work performed by the Tuckman-Barbee Construction Company) for renovation that fits new Catholic Church liturgy requirements "into the existing space with a minimum of change." Smith, Segreti and Tepper designed the changes.
The Maryland Building at the Baltimore Zoo won a citation for restoration designed by Faulkner, Fryer & Vanderpool, architects. The building was put up for the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876.
Williams Cabin in Taylorstown, Va., will receive a merit award. Built in the mid-1700s, it is cited for "creative rehabilitation" that made the house livable again after it had gone unoccupied for 25 years (George Rollison contracted the work). Leon Chatelain III was the architect for the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Philip R. Ehrenkranz.
Citations for extended use are awarded to: The Warren J. Cox House, in Georgetown, for rehabilitation and modifications that maintained the character of the building (E. A. Balker Company and R. A. Grim and Associates were the contractors), Hartman-Cox, architects; the David Kennedy House, also in Georgetown, for "new work inspired by existing house elements," (again, E. A. Baker did the contracting) Hartman-Cox, architects (see related story on the Front Page); and the Keller House, on Vermont Avenue NW, for ronovations that turned the building and two carriage houses into six apartment rental units and made the property "economically feasible" while offsetting renovation costs, David N. Yerkes and Associates, architects for the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Keller.