The most intriguing of American public dramas came to a satin and lace Cinderella ending yesterday when a former fugitive married a San Francisco policeman and Patricia Campbell Hearst became Mrs. Bernard Shaw.

The Rev. Edward Dumke, a long-time friend of the bride and head of the committee to free her, pronounced the pair man and wife after a 20-minute Episcopal ceremony conducted in the redwood-walled main chapel of the U.S. Naval Station here. The bride is 25 and the groom is 33.

Close to 400 people attended the ceremony and the reception afterward in the base's Casa de la Vista, a community center with a picture-book view of the San Francisco skyline. Guests included California Sen. S. I. Hayakawa, Rep. Paul McCloskey, Kathryn Crosby, Janey Jimenez, the bride's former federal guard, numerous friends and a very large number of Hearsts. Invited but unable to attend were entertainers Frank Sinatra and John Wayne.

The service was a traditional one and included two Bible readings. One was a traditional selection from I Corinthians 13 dealing with "perfect love" and read by Charles Gould, head of the Hearst Foundation and as a retired naval captain, the man whose sponsorship made the wedding on Treasure Island possible.

The other reading was less traditional-the 94th Psalm which begins "Oh, Lord God, to whom vengeance belongeth," and Continues. "Lord, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked triumph?" and, "Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"

"We've had that in our minds as a reading for quite some time, it has a very special significance for us," Hearst said earlier. "It's like a Thanksgiving. But a really powerful Thanksgiving. Instead of being meek and mild, it's triumphant in tone, and that's what I like about it. It's very appropriate for my wedding, it reminds me of what I've been through. Just being able to be married ina church is a total triumph over everyone."

Very conscious of that triumph, Hearst was radiant and self-possessed throughout the ceremony and reception afterward. Equally pleased were her parents, Catherine and Randolph Hearst, who though separated sat together in the church and walked to the reception side by side."It was beautiful, just beautiful," said Mr. Hearst, while his wife said, "We've been waiting five years for this."

They referred of course to the years since her kidnaping in 1974 by the Symbionese Liberation Army, her implication in an SLA bank robbery and her arrest, trial and imprisonment. And subsequent pardon.

The bridal gown was made of white imported silk organza, Alencon lace and satin. Designde by Ron Lovece exclusively for Saks Fifth Avenue it was in the silhouette of a French court costume circa Louis XV. The neckline of the gown was decollete and it was worn with a veil covering the bare shoulder. The gown carried a full chapel train and had a richly embroidered hemline. It was very different from Hearst's original choice, a high-necked, long-sleeved affair, and its very differentness was one of the reasons Hearst chose it after the first design was leaked to the press.

At the end of the ceremony the couple exchanged rings. Shaw's ring was a plain gold band studded with gold nuggets. The bride's ring wa initially planned to be equally simple but ended up as an elaborate 3.4-carat diamond affair, leaf shaped and made up of 25 small stones in a platinum setting.

Treasure Island, a man-made 400-acre enclave at the midway point of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge was selected for the wedding because it offered privacy and because if had the facilities to handle a large-scale formal wedding organized on relatively short notice. The April 1 wedding date was chosen because "we're just a couple of fools in love" (the groom) and "we wanted a meaningless date to confuse everyone" (the bride).

The wedding was scheduled for 3 p.m. and it was only 3:15 when the doors were closed behind the last guests. After two violin solos by Williams Pynchon, assistant concert-master of the San Francisco Opera Orchestra, and the singing of the Bach-Gounod Ave Maria by Ingrid Martinez, wife of Hearst's attorney, the ceremony began.

First down the aisle were the ushers: family friends Greg and Bob Hampton, Ray Carmignani, the groom's brother-in-law and San Francisco police offier Mike McElligot. All wore traditional morning coats as did the room and the best man, police officer Tom Bywater.

The bridesmaids were Hearst's three sisters-Anne, Vicki, and Gina-and Joan Carmignani, Shaw's sister.The maid of honor was Hearst's old friend Trish Tobin, who wore, as did the others, ivory organza dresses with a light pattern of pink apple blossoms.

Once inside the Casa de la Vista and away from the horde of close to 100 news representatives who had only two brief opportunities to photograph the wedding party, the celebration seemed very much like any other wedding. There was a constant flow fo excellent champagne-magnums of Taittinger's Brut Reserve-and a large variety of cold cuts and assorted hors d'oeuvres, of the Swedish meat-ball-won ton variety. Since the affair was catered by the Navy, tiny American flags were to be found in the center of each platter.

(Look magazine paid an undisclosed amount for exclusive rights to cover the ceremony and reception.)

The reception was a noisy and jovial one, part of the noise coming froma performance by a Croatian folklore ensemble. Once that dancing stopped, there was ballroom dancing to the music of a 1940's swing band with the bride and groom taking the first dance to an up-tempo version of "Sunrise, Sunset."

The cake was a three-tiered affair resting on a ring of four smaller cakes. It was a white cake with strawberry filling and white icing decorated with lightly tinted cascading roses and lilies of the valley. Everyone said it tasted as good as it looked.

One of the guests was Rolling Cloud John Hamilton, Grand Sachem of the Confederation of the Indian Tribes of Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. Scheduled to bless the couple prior to the cutting of the cake, he had instead given the blessing on Friday prior to the wedding rehearsal in a San Francisco hotel room. It was a simple ceremony and involved the reading of a prayer and the shaking of a ceremonial rattle.

After the reception the couple left by limousine for a private airfield near the San Francisco airport where a private jet was to them to their two-week honeymoon destination. Not surprisingly, that destination was a secret.