He's already made a movie about handicapped athletes called "Pushin'" and is out in San Francisco right now, hoping to sell it to a public-broadcasting market.

She's making a movie of her own about the first woman coal miner to die on the job and is hoping to sell it.

He is George Starke, the 6-foot-5-inch Columbia University graduate who is a Redskins tackle and also a partner in the film and television production company of Starke and Reid.

She is Sophie Engelhard, one of the world's richest young women. Except for letting Vogue magazine photograph her in her antique-filled Georgetown kitchen, where she does all the cooking for the small dinners she likes to give, she has kept a low profile since moving to Washington.

Starke and Engelhard have been dating regularly and traveling together for a couple of years, socializing as much with his Redskins buddies and their wives as with her Social Register friends.

Engelhard is the daughter of the late Charles Engelhard, who amassed a fortune in South African mines. Starke is black.

When the Engelhard Foundation gave $1 million to Harvard, there were protest demonstrations and Atlanta Mayor Maynard Jackson called the $1 million "tainted money . . . blood money built on the bodies of blacks." t

Starke says that his relationship with Engelhard has not caused any problems for him and none with his friends. "For one thing, her current income doesn't come from South Africa. They divested there years ago . . . in 1970," he says. "It's correct that's where the money came from originally . . . but their investments are domestic now."

He added: "I understood the students making a political statement; I made them too, when I was in school. But I'm not responsible for what her father did, nor is she. She has very complex feelings about it and it's not fair for me to make comments for her. But she was teaching black children remedial English in New York when I met her."

Starke and Engelhard's movie-making ventures are independent so far, according to friends.

"Sophie's a very independent young women," one friend said yesterday.

The advertisements in the New York newspapers read only "Property of M. Mitchell" when Martha Mitchell's family heirlooms were auctioned off unnoticed in Manhattan several months ago for unpaid storage bills.

A spokesman for the Morgan Bros. Manhattan Storage Co. said yesterday that former attorney general John Mitchell had informed them that he "wanted nothing to do with her things."

Her son, Jay Jennings, now working in Washington as a GAO investigator, was very "upset" when he heard yesterday for the first time that the sale had taken place.

Many of the items had been handed down from his maternal grandmother's family. Others had dated from his mother's first marriage, to his father, salesman Clyde Jennings.

Martha's biographer, Winzola McLendon, said yesterday that the last check Martha had written before her death was for $200 to the storage company. c

"She said she'd go without food to pay that bill because she wanted to preserve those things for Jay and Marty (his half-sister)," McLendon said.

According to Jay Jennings, he was under the impression that the storage bills were being paid through an administrator until the estate is settled. Jennings' attorney, Henry Rothblat, said in New York yesterday that he had been unable to contact anyone about the estate because none of the Mitchells "seem to have telephones, listed or unlisted, anywhere."

Jennings said yesterday that most of his mother's possessions acquired during her marriage to Mitchell had been sold at the time of her death.

"Mitchell bought my mother a baby-grand piano, and it was worth $10,000 to $15,000. Was it hers or his when he sold it? You can find lawyers to argue either way. But these other things were from her earlier marriage," Jennings said.