If you know of someone 18 or under whose rights you believe have been violated, you may seek legal help by calling:

Georgetown University Law Center, Juvenile Justice Clinic (represents child-abuse and neglect cases) 624-8205.

Volunteer Attorneys (represent child-abuse and neglect cases) 727-1572.

Mental Health Law Project (represents mentally handicapped children and adults on national level) 467-5730.

Antioch Law School Juveniles with Special Needs Clinic (represents special education cases) 265-9500, Ext. 240.

Antioch Law School Juvenile Law Clinic (represents children charged with delinquency) 265-9500, Ext. 280.

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) 544-1076.

ACLU Children's Rights project (in New York) 212-725-1222.

Children Defense fund (conducts research, legislation and litigation on national level) 483-1470.

Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (listed by county).

In the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia, you may call the following government agencies: Social Service, Human Resources, Police Youth Services, Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court -- Intake Office, Legal Aid Society (Neighborhood Legal Services in D.C.), Public Defender's Office and Crisis Line-Child Abuse.

In addition, most public school systems provide a grievance procedure for students' complaints beginning with the principal and on up to the school board. At least one system, Fairfax County, also has a Title 9 officer to handle issues of sex-discrimination. A screening committee exists in every system to review special education placements.