Q: Please give the original definition of an epergne. A: Originall, it was a silver or porcelain tale center with numerous dishes for fruits and sweetmeats. The early examples were fitted with candle-branches in addition to the containers for food and leaves. Q: In a very old house we bought is some china called Astbury. Can you tell where and when it was it was made, and its value? A: It was actually a classification of Staffordshire pottery combining white and red clay with a transparent glaze made from 1730 to 1740. It's highly desirable. Q: In a set of silver we received is what is called a cheese scoop. Can you tell the way of using it? A: It's a short, curved blade with a silver shaft and an ivory or wood handle for cutting small pieces of cheese for serving at the table. Rare now. Q: What does one mean when the word "paste" is used for jewels in costume jewelry? A: It means any semiprecious stone that has been cut or molded to resemble the precious stones, but is of glass. No reason for it to be called paste except long usage. Q: What is the difference in the teardrop drawer pulls from the Victorian and Queen Anne periods? A: The Victorian drawer pulls are about an inch in diameter with wood and metal combination. The Queen Anne drawer pulls were slender, almost always of polished solid brass. Q: There is a china from France called Quimper. When was the firm in business? A: The Henri Quimper Pottery Works went into business in 1905 and is still going strong with the same sort of pottery. Q: You said there was a listing of places that replace Halland and other china. Please give it. A: The listing is much too long to give in the column. Please send a long stamped envelope for the listing.