THE CAKE 6 Tbs. Cocoa powder 3 Tbs. sugar 3 Tbs. water 2/3 cup milk 1/4 tsp. salt 1 tsp. vanilla 1/2 cup butter (softened) 1 cup brown sugar 3 egg yolks 3/4 cup plain flour 1/4 cup cornstarch 1 tsp. baking soda 3 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
1. Combine cocoa, with sugar and water in top of double boiler and cook over water stirring until smooth and thick.
2. Stir in milk and vanilla extract; blend well, set aside to cool.
3. Cream butter and brown sugar; beat in egg yolks one at a time, then beat in chocolate mixture.
4. Sift flour and cornstarch 3 times with baking soda and salt.
5. Blend into chocolate mixture.
6. Fold in egg whites.
7. Pour into buttered and floured 10-inch layer cake pans and bake until firm to touch at 350 degree (no longer than 25 minutes.) THE MOUSSE FILLING 11 oz. bittersweet chocolate 3/4 cup butter cut into pieces 6 egg yolks 8 egg whites 4 tsp. granulated sugar 2 tbs. finely chopped walnuts 1 tbs. hazelnut oil* 2 oz. (additional) grated chocolate
1. Marinate chopped nuts in hazelnut oil; and have ready 2 oz. of grated chocolate set to the side.
2. Melt the 11 oz. of chocolate in double boiler; remove from heat; add butter; stirring it with a wooden spoon until smooth.
3. Allow mixture to cool completely.
4. Then, add egg yolks one at a time; beat well after each addition.
5. Beat egg whites stiff; halfway through, add sugar; fold chocolate mixture into egg whites with wooden spatula, adding grated chocolate and drained walnuts; Set aside. *1/4 tsp. walnut extract can be substituted for the hazelnut oil. THE ICING 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate 8 oz. heavy cream 1 1/2 tbs. butter 1 tbs. sugar
1. Chop chocolate into very small pieces.
2. Place cream, butter and sugar on stove; bring to a boil, remove, stir in chocolate; allow to cool! ASSEMBLING IT ALL
1. Allow cake to cool totally.
2. Slice into four layers.
3. Place bottom layer into springform pan, alternating mousse and cake.
4. Refrigerate for several hours until completely firm.
5. Remove cake from refrigerator and loose from springform pan.
6. Ice with cooled chocolate icing.
7. Finish with chocolate shavings.