With a work permit, the more entrepreneurial student traveler can earn enough money to live on during an extended overseas visit.

The Work Abroad program of the Council on International Education EXCHANGE (CIEE), offers a work permit ($50, available for France, England, Ireland, or New Zealand) which allows you to look for work once you are in the country. You must be a full-time matriculating student at an accredited U.S. college or university, 18 years of age, and a U.S. citizen residing in the U.S.

CIEE does not find you a job. A brief introductory booklet gives ideas on how to approach your search, names of employers who have hired in the past and describes various aspects of life in that country. Typical jobs include low-skilled, low-paying jobs, such as salesclerks, waitresses, clerks, maids, and factory workers.

The French program operates from June to October, permitting employment up to 3 months. In Britain and Ireland, the programs operate year round, with a maximum of 6 months' work in Britain and up to 4 months in Ireland. In New Zealand you may work up to 6 months, provided arrival is between May 1 and Oct. 31.

CIEE also offers the International Student ID card ($6). This card offers eligibility for low-costs airfares to and within Europe and other special travel tours, and services.