Some samples of docent opportunities and numbers to call for more information. (For museums not listed, call the education office or docent coordinator at the museum.) Some museums, including the Hirshhorn and National Museum of American Art, are filled for two years.
* Friends of the National Zoo. Examples: volunteer guides, two mornings a week October through May; roving guides, one Saturday or Sunday a month from 9:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.; preschool guides, Zoolab and Birdlab, a junior program for 13- to 16-year-olds in the summer. 673-4955.
* National Museum of American History, 357-1802.
National Museum of Natural History, 357-3045.
* National Air and Space Museum, 357-1504.
* National Portrait Gallery, 357-2920.
* Museum of African Art, 287-3490.
* Freer Gallery, 357-3200.
Summer Programs (Students)
* Volunteer opportunities for students 16 and older. Call: Visitor Information and Associates' Reception Center, 357-2700.
* Corcoran Gallery of Art, 638-3211, ext. 46.
* Gunston Hall, Louise Stockdale, 550-9220.
* Historic Alexandria Docents, Carlyle House, Gadsby's Tavern Museum, Boyhood Home of Robert E. Lee, Lee-Fendall House, and Fashion Promenade, an 18th-century fashion show at the Lyceum. Next orientation, Saturday at the Bicentennial Center, S. Washington St. Peg Orem, 836-0450.
* Mount Vernon, paid positions as museum guides, full-time and part-time. College students hired in summer. Mount Vernon personnel, 780-2000.
* Woodlawn Plantation, volunteer and paid positions as museum guides. Susan Smith, 557-7881.