A man who broke into Buckingham Palace entered the bedroom of Queen Elizabeth II and sat on her bed, chatting with the monarch for 10 minutes before a footman took him away, the Daily Express reported in its Monday edition.

It said the 56-year-old queen was not harmed.

The newspaper did not identify the intruder or say when the break-in occurred, but indicated it was early Friday. On that day a man identified as Michael Fagan, a 30-year-old unemployed Englishman, was arrested inside the palace. A court ordered him held for psychiatric tests in connection with a June 7 break-in and attempt to steal a half-bottle of wine from the queen's cellar.

When asked about the Daily Express' report of the bedroom intrusion, a palace spokesman said, "We cannot add any more . . . A man has been charged."

The newspaper said the man entered the queen's second-floor bedroom early in the morning and she talked with him for about 10 minutes.

Prince Philip, the queen's husband, was in a separate bedroom at the time, the Express said.

Eventually, the man asked for a cigarette, the report said. The queen pointed out that she had none in the bedroom, but would arrange for some to be brought for him, according to the newspaper account.

Having gained the intruder's confidence, the queen opened the bedroom door and summoned a footman who was on duty in the corridor, the report said.

It said the footman entered the bedroom on the pretense of bringing cigarettes, and took the man out.

The queen reportedly was "unruffled by her ordeal."

"The queen was very brave," the newspaper quoted an unidentified detective as saying. "By being calm she did not alarm the man--or he would have panicked and it might have been a completely different story."

Scotland Yard refused to comment on whether Fagan was the intruder described in the Express report. A spokesman only said, "We do not believe that more than one man has appeared in court." Police said that when Fagan was arrested in the palace last Friday he was about 200 yards from the queen's bedroom.

Police did not say why Fagan was not also charged in connection with the break-in at the same time as he was charged with the wine theft. At Friday's court hearing no details were given about what had happened in the palace.

Workmen spent the weekend stringing barbed wire atop the old iron spikes on the brick wall surrounding Buckingham Palace. Devices resembling loudspeakers and believed to be part of an electronic warning system could be seen at intervals along the wall.

Legislators said they are asking for a government inquiry about the safety of the royal family after at least five incidents of intruders at the palace in the previous 12 months.

The Sunday Mirror said Police Commissioner Sir David McNee was "furious" at the breakdown in security. The paper reported McNee has ordered an investigation to determine where each man in the palace's security force was positioned when the break-ins occurred.

A Conservative Party member of Parliament, Harry Greenway, said over the weekend that he will question Home Secretary William Whitelaw in the House of Commons on whether security is adequate for the royal family.

He said he had the impression "a lot of money was spent" to improve security after three West German students scaled the wall and camped on the grounds last year, claiming they thought it was a public park.

"But nothing seems to have been done to make the palace more secure," Greenway said.

Last week John Laurence, 25, who has a history of mental disorders and violence, was put on probation for three years for using a knife to force his way past the main-gate police on June 17. He was disarmed by a guard at a door to the palace.

In another matter relating to the security of the royal family, the mass-circulation Sun reported two schoolboys on bicycles breached security at a residence of Prince Charles and Lady Diana at Highgrove, west of London.

"They had the run of the place; there was no one around to stop them," the newspaper quoted a man who saw the boys enter the grounds.

According to the story, Prince Charles was in London at the time and Princess Diana and infant son Prince William were inside the residence.